Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Alerting on trends

I’m trying to see if there is a way to track and alert off trends. For Example: We have an application that spikes above our threshold for 1 minute, then goes back down. It does this 10 times per day but never goes above the threshold for the 5 minutes we have set. Is there a way to capture ALL of the spikes and then alert saying “Application X has spiked 10 times within the past 6 hours”.

This would allow us to see what could be going on before the application actually spikes and stays above the limit for the 5 minute threshold; which could impact user experience. I know we can set an alert for a 1 minute spike but that could end up flooding our inbox with alerts that the helpdesk could end up ignoring since there could be a lot of them.

Any thoughts on if this is possible and how we can achieve this would be appreciated.

Hi, @cnorman: New Relic evaluates each alert condition once per minute; it is not possible to create a condition that says, “Create a violation if the threshold is violated more than X times in 6 hours.”

You can use the workaround described in this post to query the number of times a value has exceeded a threshold in the past 6 hours:

SELECT count(*) 
FROM Transaction 
WHERE appName = 'My Application' 
  AND duration > [threshold] 
SINCE 6 hours ago

and post the result as a custom event, then create an alert condition to tell you if that value exceeds, say, 10.

A simpler approach may be to create a metric baseline alert condition.