Alerts for AWS instances

Hi,

So I have Cloudwatch data from our AWS account being delivered to our New Relic account and I’m trying to create a CPU High alert that would notify us when one of the instances running in our AWS account goes beyond 90% CPU usage.
I check the pre-built AWS alert policies and try to use AWS EC2 alert policy but all I’m getting is what looks like an average of CPU utilization of all running instances.
As far as I understand, it’s not mandatory to install NR agent on the instances as long as I can get Cloudwatch metrics…

If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi @accountspayable :wave:

Welcome to our Community :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s currently required to install the New Relic Infrastructure agent in all EC2 hosts to get the full New Relic One experience based on entities.

We plan to change this though so that the Entity Explorer experience is independent of the data source (this includes CloudWatch, Open Telemetry, etc) but there’s no concrete timeline to release this improvement at the moment.

That said, all AWS CloudWatch metrics will be ingested and you can query them or build custom dashboards and alerts.

For example, getting the average CPU utilization per instance can be query like this :

SELECT average(aws.ec2.CPUUtilization) FROM Metric facet aws.ec2.InstanceId SINCE 30 MINUTES AGO TIMESERIES

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case of any additional queries or issues. I will be happy to help you.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Thanks,
Jay Vadera