Allow wildcard in summary metrics (plugin)

I created the aiometrics plugin as an alternative to the python agent for asyncio-based programs (see original thread here). It is capturing transaction metrics and with some improvements that I did recently it is now tracking exceptions as plugin metrics.

See the plugin’s dashboard below:

This also is allowing us to have alert conditions happening on specific events; and that’s good, so far.

Now, the problem is that in order to create alert conditions we need to user a summary metric. That’s ok for known metrics name (i.e. using a function name that will never change) but is hard now that we are collecting metrics for exceptions because most exceptions are unknown until they appear for the first time.

My thougth is that it would be easy if we can create a summary metric for the plugin using a wildcard to select the name of the metric, so I tried this:

And then this happens:

(see the please select a valid metric message above ^)

So we cannot use the wildcard unfortunately.

If I chose a specific metric then you can continue and select the value for the summary metric, but that’s not possible when using a wildcard.

The wildcard is needed because we must get a notification when an unknown exception happens.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

1 Like

@Linds or @hross any feedback on this request/idea? (more a request than an idea)

Hey there @dmo - Our friend @Linds went on vacation (how rude! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) and I let this slip through the cracks. I am getting this set up now so that others can vote and I am passing it on to our engineering team. Thank you so much for providing so much great detail, but please let me know if there is more that you need to add.

thanks @hross Actually (for this request) adding support for the wildcard will allow us to create the kind of summary metrics that we need, so we can continue with the setup of different alert notifications for events matching a specific pattern like the: Component/Exception:* one

1 Like

Excellent use case and context, @dmo! I will update your request with all this great detail—thanks! :blush: