APM down monitoring dashboard

Hi. is it possible to create a dashboard for the apm down monitoring dashboard. i have integrated newrelic apm with my java app.and able to view the apm web transactions and other details. soo if the app goes or apm down , is it possbible to view in dashboard for the status of the apm or my application. also want to view the previous downtimes also

Hi, @basheer2: Probably the simplest way to do this is to create an alert condition that will be violated if the application has low throughput (requests per minute). Presumably if the application is down, it will process a low number of requests, so the alert condition will be violated.

You may view current and past alert incidents on the Alerts & AI overview page. By clicking the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner of each chart, you can see the NRQL query used to generate the chart, which can help you create your own dashboard.

this is the window looks like this for alerts

can u please explain more.in the policy section there are 3 sections.

which one i want to select.

and also selected the web-transaction throughput section.able to create the alert condition from the 3dot section. so i can see that

now what

You may find this video helpful: 2021-08-19 12.04 New Relic Alerts Fundamentals - New Relic

okkk thank you for the video.,

so is it able to create the alert condition from the apm webtransaction throughtput chart??

There is also lots of good information in the documentation: Introduction to Alerts | New Relic Documentation

okkk,

what is the condition for setting.if the apm goes down then for alert.??. plzz help

as you said in the condition statement "that will be violated if the application has low throughput (requests per minute). Presumably if the application is down, it will process a low number of requests, so the alert condition will be violated" .how can i set for mine if the apm downs. i mean the “call count, calls, time”

That is really up to you. What number of transactions per minute would indicate a problem? If your application typically has 1000 transactions per minute, then maybe 500 calls per minute would be a problem, or 100. Or you can put “a call count below 1” to indicate that your application has not processed any transactions.

You may also create a metric baseline condition to have New Relic notify you if the current throughput is different from the historical average.

Hi @basheer2 ,

If your application is down, I am assuming you are not able to connect nor process any transaction. You definitely need to setup an alert…

1. Create an alert on your java process…to ensure the process is running. If you have multiple java application running on that host, you will need to look at the command line etc.
  2. Create a Synthetic script…that simulates application behavior
  3. Create alerts on throughput/transactions as suggested by other members…

I do not have enough information about your application (on-prem, cloud, multi -tier etc)…you might be in a situation that the application is fine, but database is down for example…or filesystem…

I hope this could help

good luck

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this advice @gjajka! It’s greatly appreciated!