New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Average monthly response times

restapi
api

Hello,

I am interested in querying the average monthly response times from EndUser and HttpDispatcher. I saw in the documentation that the period= param can control a time period output, but the param is only in seconds. Is there any param that I could use to ask for monthly time periods? Currently, I am making separate queries with to= and from= set as the beginning and endings of each month with summarize=true.

Hi, @chelseyl: If you have at least 30 days of data retention, Insights is the easiest way to do this:

SELECT average(duration) FROM Transaction WHERE appName = 'My Application' SINCE 1 month ago
SELECT average(duration) FROM PageView WHERE appName = 'My Application' SINCE 1 month ago

Using the REST API, you may specify from and to date parameters:

curl -X GET 'https://api.newrelic.com/v2/applications/{application_id}/metrics/data.json' \
     -H 'X-Api-Key: YOUR_API_KEY' -i \
     -G -d 'names[]=EndUser&values[]=average_response_time&from=2018-09-17T00:01:00+00:00&to=2018-10-16T23:59:00+00:00&summarize=true' 

You may find the API Explorer helpful in formulating the correct API calls.

Another example, depending on your data retention policy, would be:

SELECT average(duration) FROM PageView WHERE appName = 'My Application' SINCE 12 months ago FACET monthOf(timestamp)

Hey @chelseyl - was Phil & Stefan’s comments helpful? Let us know if you found the information you’re looking for through Insights :smiley: