AWS EC2 section not displaying and EC2 dashboard not populated

I’ve setup the AWS integration using metric streams and confirmed that stats are being populated for EC2, EBS, RDS and ELB, however under AWS no EC2 section is available and even after adding the EC2 dashboard it’s not displaying any data.

The instances in question actually show up in the Hosts section as they have had the infrastructure agent deployed, one as a standalone instance and the other two via the kubernetes agent. I can also see on those hosts that the tags have been pulled in from AWS so it must know that they are indeed EC2 instances. The standalone instance is named as per it’s IP address without the ..compute.internal part of the name which seems to be another anomaly as the kubernetes nodes do have the full DNS name.

Is there a step I’m missing to integrate the two pieces of data or is there a problem with my account?

Hello @darren23

Thank you for reaching out to us. You are correct the AWS EC2 instances will appear under hosts once the infra agent is installed therefore, what you are describing is corrected.

In regards to changing the instance name or the way it is displayed, you can review the newrelic-infra.yml file file configuration. Please have a look at the following documentation Hostname variables for Overrides the auto-generated hostname for reporting.

Note, that this can be added to the newrelic-infra.yml file and the agent restarted is needed for this change to take effect.

Feel free to review the links below that may be useful to you:

I hope the above helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me in case of any additional queries or issues. I will be happy to help you.

Kind regards,

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me and thanks for the information and links. Just to clarify, there shouldn’t be an EC2 section under Amazon Web Services in the left hand side bar? I guess I’m not missing anything if that’s the case.

I do have another question. On the instance where I installed the infrastructure agent manually it gave me the option to monitor the tomcat java process which I accepted. I wasn’t sure what this option has enabled though as I can’t find the APM files anywhere on the file system. Do I need to install that manually to get that functionality?

Kind regards,
Darren

Hello @darren23

Thank you for getting back in touch.

Firstly, you are correct it shouldn’t show any EC2 sections under AWS as those hosts will be under hosts, you are correct.

Regarding the tomcat APM monitoring, it may have installed some files however, I would suggest looking into the following documentation for Java application deployed on Apache Tomcat, as it will need those configurations to work.

I hope it helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me in case of any additional queries or issues. I will be happy to help you.

Kind regards,

1 Like