Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

AWS Network Load Balancer monitoring support

NR Infra currently lets you monitor and alert on AWS ELBs and ALBs, but not NLBs. These have been around for a year now, and the NR Infra ELB integration documentation still says “Amazon offers two types of load balancers: Classic Load Balancer and Application Load Balancer (ALB).”

They’re practically identical to the classic ELB, so I’d think that introducing functionality for this would be pretty trivial.

Has this somehow just flown under the radar all this time?

• Alek

New Relic edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @Hayorti,

What the industry calls “NLB,” Amazon calls “Classic Load Balancer.” Amazon introduced the term at the same time it released ALB.

If you’re using NLB, you can use the ELB integration on the New Relic side to pick it up.

I hope this helps!

Hi @Fidelicatessen,

That’s actually false. Amazon currently offers 3 times of load balancers:

1. Application Load Balancer (ALB)
  2. Network Load Balancer (NLB)
  3. Classic Load Balancer

You can see that information on the Elastic Load Balancing product page HERE.

Infrastructure’s ELB integration only shows me classic load balancers, but the ALB integration shows me both ALBs and NLBs. That might seem fine, until you look at the metrics you can alert on. All of the metrics are based on ALBs, not NLBs. So, while you have “Active Connection Count” for ALBs, you don’t
have “Active Flow Count” for NLBs, for example.

Hi @Hayorti,

Oops! My bad, I got incorrect information.

Turns out this is not something we support (as you already noticed), but is an excellent idea for a new feature. Our Product Managers and Engineers who plan our product roadmap are always interested in hearing new ideas about how to make New Relic even better, so I have submitted this as a feature request to be considered for a future release. While we can’t guarantee when or if this feature will be implemented, we take customer requests very seriously and use them to prioritize which features we implement next.

If you have an opportunity, please visit the Feature Ideas section where you can add your use case for the proposed feature as a Feature Idea. This will allow other New Relic users to discover your idea and participate in the conversation by adding their use cases, possible workarounds, and even their vote.

Isn’t this the Feature Ideas section already? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Hayorti! I’ve gone ahead added a poll so others can weigh in if this is something they’d also like to see.

New Relic Infrastructure integration for ALB and ELB are existing (cf. Integration > AWS > Manage Services) at the moment, so I don’t see any reason for New Relic to not support NLB.

We are using NLB in our platform, I would like to see that integration in the future in order to have Insights Dashboard like others AWS Services. Voted for!

Great! Thanks for adding your vote and for giving us details, @sbrabez! I have passed your input along. Thanks! :blush:

I’m very interested in this feature as well, are there any plans to introduce it any time soon? Seems relatively straight forward from the CloudWatch docs on NLB metrics.

Hey @David.ReedFrancis - No updates on this feature request right now, but I’ll get your +1 added to that feature idea.

Hi there! We’ll be adding NLB metrics soon, stay tuned!

Helena Pujol
Product Manager, New Relic