Basic Users can now request upgrades to Full-Stack Observability UIs on March 1

Starting March 1, all Basic users that need continued access Full-Stack Observability UIs—including APM, Infrastructure, Browser, Mobile, Distributed Tracing, and Synthetics capabilities— to monitor and troubleshoot their apps and systems will need to request an upgrade from their admins to become a provisioned Full User.

For a preview period, Basic users had access to the entire New Relic platform, including popular capabilities like APM, Infrastructure and more, which requires being provisioned as a Full user.

If they don’t upgrade to become a provisioned Full user, Basic users can still instrument their environment and access their data in New Relic via queries, custom dashboards, and alerts.

Click here to see the differences between Basic users and Full users.

How do Basic Users get access to Full-Stack Observability UIs, including APM, Infrastructure, and more?
You can either contact your account admin directly to request an upgrade now, or after March 1, you can follow the directions below:

As a Basic User, select the Full-Stack Observability UI in the top navigation. You will land on the request access page.

1. Simply select your Account Name in the dropdown and click request access.

2. Your account admin will receive an email to approve your request to upgrade to a provisioned Full User.

3. Once the request is approved, you will receive a confirmation email, and you will be able to access all Full-Stack Observability UIs.

What does a Basic User have access to in New Relic One?

Basic Users can instrument apps and systems or send data to New Relic One using our most popular agents and integrations.

They can also query data using NRQL to get insight into the performance of their applications, hosts, and other critical business metrics, create and view dashboards, and create alerts.

As an admin, how can I tell who needs Full-Stack Observability access at my company?

Typically, any engineer who develops, tests, deploys, and maintains code, manages DevOps practices, or regularly participates in root cause analysis should be provisioned as a Full User.

For an understanding of how many Basic Users in your organization are actively using Full-Stack Observability capabilities, please contact your New Relic account manager to help identify these users.

How can I see how many provisioned Full Users are currently in my account?

As an admin, you can see your current Full and Basic User counts in the Usage and Cost UI.

Instructions:

To view your current usage, annual contracted amount, and remaining commit balance. If you don’t have access, please reach out to your internal New Relic Admin.

• Navigate to one.newrelic.com

• Select the avatar dropdown menu in the upper right corner

• Select View your usage

• The chart shows the calculated average of Full users in green, the calculated average of Basic users in blue, and then the actual count of Full users indicated by the yellow trend line. For example, if you decrease your user count (shown in yellow), the green bar charts will start decreasing over time, as well.

• “Current counts” display the amount of Full and Basic Users. Provisioned Full Users are billable. If there have been any changes in the current month, this count could differ from the “Billable users” listed in the “So far this month” panel.

• “So far this month” is the calculated average of provisioned Full user hours over the course of the month. Note: This number could be more than “Current counts” if you have recently decreased their full users.

What does a provisioned Full User have access to in New Relic One?

Provisioned Full Users have the ability to easily visualize, analyze, & troubleshoot your entire stack with access to the entire platform. This includes every Full-Stack Observability capability within the New Relic Platform (APM, Infrastructure Monitoring, Browser, Mobile, Synthetics, Kubernetes Cluster Explorer, Serverless Monitoring and more).

What do I do if I have questions?

Please contact your account manager or open a support ticket for questions about access…

1 Like

Previously, Basic users could self-upgrade to Full. Why are you now requiring email requests to Admins (very poor practice for any enterprise that relies on an ITSM or automated provisioning system)?

And why is there no mention of this change in approach in the comms?

8 Likes

We are a team of 50 people and we purchased it due to features such as APM, Infrasturture, and we pay bills every month. There are only 2 full users and all the remaining arhitect and developers have basic-admin authority. In this case, I will have to attract all users to full user and I will not be able to cover the cost.You are already charged to collect the data or to set it up, and why do you want to charge for the users. This is a very pointless policy.

5 Likes

What are the cost implications of a basic user requesting an upgrade to a full user?
You detail how a user can request to upgrade, but do not mention what, if anything it costs to upgrade that user account.
Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew for the head’s up and the feedback. The approval step is to provide a level of control for account admins, and we’ll be able to make this configurable in an upcoming release so that you can choose between offering your users a self-upgrade path or requiring admin approval.

Hi Emre,
Thanks for reaching out and for the feedback. I’m going to DM you to understand a little bit more about the access your team needs. Free Basic users still are able to instrument apps and systems, query and alert on data, and create/view custom dashboards.

-John

Good question dscott3. It depends on your current plan. I will follow up via DM.

why can’t this be public?

3 Likes

As a number of people have already mentioned on this article, we too are questioning what the cost implications are of “upgrading” existing Basic users to Full users in order to simply continue to use the New Relic functionality they were using before?

We have a number of users who VIEW details within New Relic via “Explorer” -> “APM/Services” but who are now redirected to “Full Stack Observability” and are required to upgrade.

To quote the New Relic email from 24 February 2021 at 23:25:10 GMT: -

“Your customers who already use New Relic will be automatically upgraded to this new and powerful experience in the coming weeks. It’s all part of Full-Stack Observability. There’s no new product fees, no new accounts, and no new data to import.”

We already have an open ticket created questioning this ( 448290 ) as the behaviour of the new interface now suggests that there actually are new product fees when users use New Relic in the way they did before.

Please confirm a.s.a.p.

Jonathan

1 Like

This feels incredibly ill-conceived. We already have a contract with New Relic. What is the cost implication? This could be a deal breaker if we need to spend a lot more money to “upgrade” accounts and spend extra for them.

2 Likes

I agree. This is not congruent to what we signed up with. This only hurts the customer.

1 Like

We renewed our subscription with an expectation of what Basic users could do. After this change a team suddenly cannot do their job. Why would I trust that our usage of this platform will be stable going forward?

2 Likes

@dscott3
in our capitalism society, it should be known by a normal human - especially for a company - that time is an equivalent for money. Do you learned this minimum of econmic knowledge in school ?

My Company just wait for an alternative of New Relic, and then my company will move to another solution.
I am sure this will come one day…not now…just wait :slight_smile: Competition will bring us a solution.

Sometimes I hate the arrogance of big companies and their marketing soldiers! :rage:

cheers
peter

2 Likes

I’m 100% with you on this. We were pressured to upgrade to this new model by our sales rep, and throughout the testing our Basic users were able to see everything they needed. Now, a few months into a year-long agreement, everything is broken for them, we’re reverting to v1 users, and NR is telling us they’re back to the drawing board on how to handle customers with multiple subaccounts. Seeing our users (who were fine for 4 months on our new pricing) suddenly be unable to do their jobs (we’re talking ~200 users), is, to me, the definition of bait-and-switch sales. NR should be ashamed, but they’ve been pretty condescending, non-transparent, and frankly seem pretty directionless on how and why they’re modeling pricing going forward.

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments and feedback, they are of great value. I have shared them with our internal teams to make sure they are also aware. Some of these comments have sparked conversations that have been taken offline primarily to make sure the specific needs of the customer are addressed.

How about Custom built Nerdlets. Could I still share those with Basic Users? or the Basic users have to get upgraded to Full to View my Custom Nerdlet?

Smart movement NR. Changing the game rules for companies with already signed-up contracts (and not precisely cheap) just for profit. Rest assured many of us will move to another solution when possible.

1 Like

A basic user can’t use anything! It should be called “Guest” or “Dashboard only” account. I was mislead to believe Basic users had basic access to basic metrics, but they can’t view anything without upgrading to Full user. Disappointed.

1 Like

Requires Nerdpack Admin add-on role, which is an advanced feature available to full-user.

1 Like