Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Best Practice Guide: New Relic One

best-practice-guide

New Relic One Best Practice Guide

New Relic One is your single pane of glass to view all of your monitored infrastructure. APM Applications, Browser Apps, Synthetics Monitors, Infrastructure Hosts, Dashboards, Mobile Apps, they all live in New Relic One. Which is a unified UI experience for you to access all of your data in the one place.

With search capabilities allowing you to find hosts, apps, services, any entity in your accounts, New Relic One is the best place to find everything you need across all of your accounts.

New Relic One pulls in everything you have access to - all applications from all accounts. Allowing you to see everything without switching context.

When you have reviewed these best practices, show off your new found skills. Take the New Relic One Best Practices Quiz to earn your badge.

Organisational tips

Use Favourites:

Favourites allow me to glance at, from the New Relic One landing page, my most used entities, I can get a high level view of how they’re currently performing, and, over on the right hand side I can see if any are having any Alerting events occurring for my favourite entities.

Hide Launchers:

From the New Relic One landing page, you’ll see a customise button in the upper right corner: image.
This allows us to select which launchers we would like to live on our landing page, allowing us to clean up space for only the most important launchers for us. See the configuration screen with toggle switches here.

Nerdpack naming:

If you are building your own Nerdpacks, your New Relic One landing page will eventually start to look very full with launchers. Initially this is temporary as you locally develop Nerdpacks, but longer term once they are deployed to accounts, the UI will become full of launchers that will need to be unsubscribed to get rid of them.

If you, or users in your account have access to multiple accounts, the New Relic One landing page will become unruly for them. Naming your nerdpacks appropriately allows users to find the right ones, quickly.

Nerdpacks are deployed on a per-account basis*. Once you deploy nerdpacks to all of your accounts, you will quickly have a full landing page with Nerdpacks all having the same name. Similar to here where I have two named IGOR

Instead of this, it’s helpful to edit the launcher displayName name, via the path nerdpack/launchers/nerdpackLauncher/nr1.json

Such that you will have multiple launchers, but they will point to the right accounts, such as below:

* - Exceptions being in sub-accounts, deploying to a parent account is sufficient for the sub-accounts to access the Nerdpacks.

Understanding what you are seeing

Searching New Relic One:

New Relic One shows you all the data from all your accounts in one unified UI. If your accounts have many entities reporting, it can be a challenge to find the ones important to you in a hurry. Global search in New Relic one allows you to find data in a number of ways;

By searching for a part of an entity name, or the tag you have labelled your entities with, you’ll get everything returned that matches your search term.

By going into the Browse All list item, we get a full breakdown of our search results:

There we can see that we have x number Dashboards, x services, x load balancers.
These still are spread across the different accounts I have access to - but I can see which account in the results row.

Dashboards:

Dashboards are a fantastic way to visualise your data in ways to help you better understand it. By using Dashboard Notes alongside your custom NRQL widgets, you can empower others in your account to better

You may not need it for all widgets like below; however I suggest that you add some notes to each dashboard, such that new viewers of that dashboard know what’s going on, they know how to interpret the data they are seeing, without having to review all NRQL queries from all widgets.

Additional Resources:

Ready to Learn More?

Looking for more New Relic One best practices and tips? Check out the Level Up categories.