Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Can we have alert notifications on google hangout?

Can we have alert notifications on google hangout?

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

New Relic alerts not working with google chat
New Relic alerts not working with google chat

Hey @tusharbangar37
We do not have a direct integration with Hangouts.

We do have the webhook notification channel; (link here for more info), the webhook is simply a HTTP Post with a JSON document with information on your alerts.

From my searching on Google Hangouts integrations, they can not accept incoming webhooks. However, it may be possible for you to send the webhook to a 3rd party which parses the data and send the alerts onwards using the Google Hangouts API.

I’m going to get a feature request started for you on this, and I’ll add a poll to this post for others to share their interest. Let me know if there is any more I can do to help.

Thanks @RyanVeitch , will go through it. If any help required will let you know.

Hi how are you doing?
Could someone make the integration of notifications by webhook with the new google chat?

Hi there @fvannasaeng - You will have to talk to Google about accepting incoming webhooks. If they make that change, then you could use webhooks to send alerts to Google Hangouts. Until then, we’ll all have to wait!

Hi @hross! - They are actually supporting webhooks. Check this link and this for the message formats.
They are actually working. I try to post from postman and works.

Excellent news! So what I am hearing you say is that Google Hangouts now accepts incoming webhooks and you got it to work with postman, but not with New Relic for some reason. Is that right? If you are stuck, we do have a troubleshooting guide that may be a helpful place to start:

Yeap. Is a good news. But i can not make it work. Is the notification from New Relic a POST method? And i mean with the JSON payload.
Also I get a forbidden from Google Chat when i send the test notification.

Any news? This is clearly a problem of the request made by new relic itself

Hi there @aortmann - Although, technically, we don’t support an integration with Google chat specifically, we’ve been doing some testing on our end. Earlier this week one of our support engineers managed to pinpoint what seems to be going wrong. It will take engineering work to get this resolved, so it probably should remain as a feature idea for now.

I encourage you to add your vote to the poll and add any details about how you want to see this implemented. Thank you for your understanding!

This feature would be great! Ideally though, shouldn’t the web hook work universally with all standard requests?

I don’t think this specifically a new feature idea, but more of a fix for the web hook notification channel!

Thanks @grant.fellows - appreciate that insight. We’ll update here when we have any news.

Hi @hross
Do we have any updates about this issue?

Is anyone already solved this or made it work?

Hey @fvannasaeng - There’s no official notification channel to support Hangouts right now. I’ll get your +1 added internally, in the meantime, hopefully someone in the community has made this work.

Hi, I’ve made a forwarder of the alerts from slack to gchat some months ago to workaround this problem. This is the gist if anyone want to use it. It’s a free solution and use an actual integration that works great (slack).
Feel free to improve it if you don’t like the card or something, but share it too.

Regards.

That is amazing @aortmann! Thanks so much for sharing this with the community!