Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Can't install NR Infrastructure on Ubuntu 16

I followed official instructions to install it on Ubuntu 16.

System Version:

root@dev ~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial

Apt sources list:

root@dev ~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/newrelic-infra.list
deb [arch=amd64] http://download.newrelic.com/infrastructure_agent/linux/apt xenial main

Installation output:

root@dev ~ $ sudo apt-get install newrelic-infra
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  linux-headers-4.4.0-72 linux-headers-4.4.0-72-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-78 linux-headers-4.4.0-78-generic
  linux-headers-4.4.0-79 linux-headers-4.4.0-79-generic linux-headers-4.4.0-81 linux-headers-4.4.0-81-generic
  linux-headers-4.4.0-83 linux-headers-4.4.0-83-generic linux-image-4.4.0-72-generic
  linux-image-4.4.0-78-generic linux-image-4.4.0-79-generic linux-image-4.4.0-81-generic
  linux-image-4.4.0-83-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-72-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-78-generic
  linux-image-extra-4.4.0-79-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-81-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-83-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  newrelic-infra
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 26 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/14,5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 44,0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously unselected package newrelic-infra.
(Reading database ... 260560 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../newrelic-infra_1.0.752_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking newrelic-infra (1.0.752) ...
Setting up newrelic-infra (1.0.752) ...
Failed to execute operation: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
dpkg: error processing package newrelic-infra (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 newrelic-infra
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Trying to launch:

root@dev ~ $ newrelic-infra
INFO[0000] New Relic Infrastructure Agent version 1.0.752 Creating Service (434.424µs) 
INFO[0000] Agent service manager started successfully. (654.899µs)  service=newrelic-infra
INFO[0000] New Relic Infrastructure Agent version 1.0.752 Initializing (812.009µs) 
INFO[0000] New Relic Infrastructure Agent version 1.0.752 Running (449.296481ms) 
WARN[0000] unable to use SELinux                         error=exec: "sestatus": executable file not found in $PATH
ERRO[0000] Unable to read sysctl from /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/stable_secret, skipping: read /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/stable_secret: input/output error 
ERRO[0000] Unable to read sysctl from /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/stable_secret, skipping: read /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/stable_secret: input/output error 
ERRO[0000] Unable to read sysctl from /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/ens3/stable_secret, skipping: read /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/ens3/stable_secret: input/output error 
ERRO[0000] Unable to read sysctl from /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/stable_secret, skipping: read /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/lo/stable_secret: input/output error 
ERRO[0000] unable to get systemd service status          error=exit status 1
ERRO[0011] UpdateState: Unable to archive packages/dpkg  error=stat /var/db/newrelic-infra/data/.delta_repo/packages/dpkg.pending: no such file or directory
ERRO[0030] unable to get systemd service status          error=exit status 1

How to correctly install it? Our system uses Upstart instead of Systemd.

Seems nobody knows? I think there should be a way to install it without systemd. At all it should not depend whether user uses upstart or systemd as process manager. It should work with both, no?

Hi Felian,

We do have specific repos for upstart for Ubuntu 14 and lower and systemd for Ubuntu 15 and higher. You could try installing from the upstart repo:

https://download.newrelic.com/infrastructure_agent/linux/apt trusty main

Thanks it works. Before posting this issue i tried this but may be i mistaken somewhere.

This source works also for Ubuntu 16 with upstart instead of systemd.

Hi - would one of you be able to explain exactly how (step by step) you did this? I can’t seem to figure this out by going through the apt link you provided above: https://download.newrelic.com/infrastructure_agent/linux/apt I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 with upstart (not systemd). Thanks!

Hi @mmartin2 I recommend going through the installation regularly except on step 5 target the repo that matches your init system:

Looks like you’ll want the Ubuntu 14 repo so step 5 will look like this:

printf "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.newrelic.com/infrastructure_agent/linux/apt trusty main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/newrelic-infra.list

Let me know if that works.

That did work - however, now my syslog is being littered with the below:

May 17 18:58:24 ip-172-27-10-142 newrelic-infra: time=“2019-05-17T18:58:24Z” level=error msg=“unable to get systemd service status” error=“exit status 1”