New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Crashes reported on Android but not visible on the dashboard

android

I tried triggering both handled and unhandled crashes but they just don’t show up in the dashboard. It has been hours and literally nothing is showing up (I can see app launches but no interactions neither)

2019-11-07 20:35:11.587 9681-9718 ***: Crash 09157d3d-3fc8-4323-a37c-0937e35a90a2 successfully submitted.
2019-11-07 20:35:11.587 9681-9718 **: Crash collection took 1021ms
2019-11-07 20:35:11.587 9681-9681 **: Chaining crash reporting duties to AppExceptionHandler

Hi @stephane7 - Do you have any other monitoring tools in place? I’m curious if there’s another crash handler picking up the crash and not passing it on to New Relic.

Typically we request that New Relic be the first crash handler used in an application chained to others, as when our agent detects a crash we record the data from it and move that crash down the chain to other handlers. Not all handlers do this, and so if you have any other tools in place it’s possible that they consumed the crash and the New Relic agent did not get it.

Thanks @RyanVeitch, we’re indeed using other monitoring tools (crashlytics and a custom, global error catcher). I’ve just seen that a crash has been logged but I can’t see any detail (see screenshot). After disabling the global error catcher and crashlytics I still can’t see any crash reported.

@RyanVeitch after moving the new relic initialisation to the application level, and before any other reporting tool / global error catcher is initialised, I’m now seeing handled crashes in the dashboard. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for confirming @stephane7 - As far as I know, the Android agent should be initialised in the onCreate() method of your default activity (defined in your app manifest).

I’m not sure that Application level initialisation is supported - As the application class is also called for new push notifications, which skews the data and will show an inflated number of app launches in the UI.