Sorry for not getting back to this… but yes, i did solve this.
I used what @philweber referenced above. The External Service alert condition. BUT there were some odd behaviors I had to navigate around.
- Add new alert condition
- Select “APM” and then “External service” and click “Next, select entities”
- Pick your app that you want to test FROM. Check it off… and click “Next, define thresholds”
- Add your target endpoint into the endpoint box. “subdomain.domain.com” for instance.
BUT Here’s the issue i found. When you put that “subdomain.domain.com” into the “Enter external service URL” box. You’re going to see that it says “No results found” but actually that’s OKAY!
Set up the rest of the things… I.e. Response time… an average… above… 3s… for at least… 5 minutes.
go back into that alert condition after it’s saved.
And low and behold… it’s seeing data. Also the value inside the “Enter external service URL” box has changed to something like …
Which is odd… but i’ve decided not to question… and instead just accepted my reality and moved on. Now confident that my external endpoints are being monitored successfully for response time elevations.
Which they are because i’ve had these alerts trigger.