Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Creating a List of values that can be used to filter a dashboard

I would like to be able to create a single dashboard that I can use with any application. I would like to display a list of items (in this case) the application names and when selected have the dashboard only display information about the selected items.

I also collect custom metrics and would like to add custom metrics collected for all applications in a similar manner, the only way that looks like it might be possible would be to use custom events instead of custom metrics because I cannot use NRQL against metrics, is that correct?

The only other option I see is exporting the data so that I can use Graphana but I would like to try and keep as many things in a single system as possible.

In the graphite Editor I can use wild cards or variables in a query to allow this to happen. For instance the Env, Agent, Host are all selected on the dashboard.

$Env.apps.$Agent.$Host.http.*.request_rate_seconds

Hi @jgiganti - You are correct in that you can only perform this filtering with events, not metrics. The approach with events is to use a widget linked to the same dashboard it is placed on, which lists the applications. You would then set the filter on the dashboard on the appName attribute.

@jgiganti - let us know if Stefan’s comment was helpful :smiley: