Creating Separated Reports

Hi there.

I am quite new to the community and to the new relic tool as well. But I am very happy to find out I can get and give help through the NR forum page.

I do have some issues with getting used to the tool. Firstly I am trying to see whether is a way to create some personalized reports. By that I mean, since I am monitoring different instances, I would like to have for example a separated report/data for a certain number of alerts I received on a new/few particular monitors. This would give me a better overview of the things separately and also would be useful to present it to the customers ( since they are only interested on some specific monitors, not all of them).

I followed some guidelines I saw here, and created an Insights Webhook, but I am not sure where to continue after that and how do i proceed.

Secondly, I am receiving quite a big number of alerts and I was looking I could reduce it, if for example i choose to have multiple locations failure, or to only notify if the alert happened more than once within a certain time frame. I am able to create it, I am not sure how to make it applicable to a certain monitor though.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you

Hey @jlimka - welcome! It’s great to have you in the community :smiley:

I’m going to move your question over into the alerts space since I think that’s most applicable for your questions.

It looks like you are on the right track with Insights and Webhooks, so you are sending your alerting data to Insights, where you can then query it.

It sounds like dashboarding would be useful for you - to be able to have a dashboard for all related alerts events.

Within each dashboard you can add on to your queries WHERE conditionName = 'myConditions' - basically, you’ll be targeting everything in the dashboard at the alert conditions relevant for the separation you desire.

On top of that, you can add some non-alerts related queries, since it seems you’re using synthetics, there are plenty of great queries you can gather from the Synthetics event types. I just created a post with an awesome Synthetics dashboard you can use (though, may be very verbose for your use case, it may still add value) Relic Solution: Synthetics Dashboard!

As for receiving a lot of alerts, that’s a complex one that we would need to see to understand. If you have a link to where we would see a number of these alerts, we’d better understand and can better advice you here :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe you find this link helpful where a hands-on explanation is given how to create faceted NRQL alert conditions: Relic Solution: Creating Well-Behaved Faceted NRQL Alert Conditions
These can be used to control more fine grained, when an alert notification should be sent.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the reply Ryan.

i was also trying to play with the Dashboard, it looks like it does provide some really useful tools and organizes the information.

Is there a way to connect (if not done already) the data i receive from the Insights, with the SLA reports?

As per the alerts, I am not quite sure how to explain this, but I will try to give an example>

https://synthetics.newrelic.com/accounts/2238747/monitors/27aa4e37-b4b4-47f1-a9cd-ff42d76fbb47

for example this monitor here, sends an alert everytime a location fails. But due to several reasons, this does not necessarily means that the connection with the database has been lost due to internal factors, but might have been related to that particular location. What I want to do, is generate an alert only when two or more location fail at the same time. How possible would this be?

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Will check it out right away :smile:

1 Like

You sure can set up alert conditions on multiple locations failing. See the docs on that here:
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts/new-relic-alerts/defining-conditions/multi-location-synthetics-alert-conditions

1 Like

In addition - there’s no way to connect Insights data to the SLA reports.

SLA Reports are non-configurable. You can create your own reports in Insights, for example the query below will give you a Synthetics SLA report broken down by day for the past 10 days:

SELECT average(duration) AS 'Avg Duration (ms)',  percentage(count(*), WHERE result = 'SUCCESS') AS 'Uptime %', apdex(duration / 1000, t: 7.0), percentage(count(*),  WHERE duration / 1000 <= 7.0) AS '% Satisfied', percentage(count(*), WHERE (duration / 1000) > 7.0  AND (duration / 1000) <= (4 * 7.0))  AS '% Tolerating' , percentage(count(*), WHERE (duration / 1000) > (7.0 * 4)) AS '% Frustrated' FROM SyntheticCheck WHERE monitorId = '{monitorid}' SINCE 10 days ago FACET dateOf(timestamp)

Like I said, these cannot connect to the default SLA reports, but you absolutely can create these custom reports with NRQL.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan. Much appreciated. This is really helpful

1 Like

in regard to this topic, I was introduced to the NRQL reports on insights ( brilliant way ). Will just have two things to ask:

1-Is there a way to configure the reports, to be sent via email to the managers/stakeholders so they can have an overview without needing to access the tool? As in, can i transform the data I get using NRQL scripts, into a different format? Or just provide a link that might redirect to them to some sort of more organized external webchart?

2-Can you please help me out with a link/source of the most used NRQL scripts to create some useful reports?

Thank you

1 Like

@jlimka

1 - No - no way to configure the charts to be auto-emailed, however if you open up those Dashboards in New Relic One, you’ll be able to download the dashboards in their current state as PDFs.

Alternatively, you can get embed links from each dashboard widget and create your own HTML page of <iframe>'s within which you can host each chart. For example, below is an embed link from one of my own the NRQL widgets targeting my Synthetics monitors

https://insights-embed.newrelic.com/embedded_widget/euCfW23gUSso50aETjKmrnuIcW3ffWB3

2 - Yes! First I’d encourage you to look into the docs.newrelic.com archives. Depending on the New Relic products you are using, most have some sample queries in the docs.

The Data Dictionary lets you see what kind of attributes can be queried and from which event type: https://docs.newrelic.com/attribute-dictionary

And finally, there is a helpful NRQL library here in the Explorers Hub:

1 Like

Thanks Ryan. You have been more than helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jlimka
You’re welcome, Johana, let us know if there’s any more we can help with. :smiley: