New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Deployment Marker in Infrastructure

deploymentmarker

I was just wondering if there a way to put deployment markers within Infrastructure.
Rather than just being able to put it in the application side of things.
It would be nice to know when we make a network change that this change is also logged as well.

Thanks

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @d.ma,

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but the blocks running along the top of the Infrastructure dashboard keep track of Inventory change events. Any time you change anything about your system – package versions comes immediately to mind, but any aspect of inventory that changes (including network changes) will be picked up by the Infrastructure agent and then the block corresponding to that time block will change color (the more events that took place within that time block, the darker the blue color will be).

In the above screenshot, you can see that while I hovered over one of the blocks, a tooltip popped up showing a breakdown of all the events that occurred during that time period. I can then go to the Events tab and scope to just the event type that I’m interested in.

As an added bonus, while I move my cursor along this row of boxes, the cursor also shows at what time in the graphs below the selected events were happening. This allows me to see if the events had any bearing on any of the metrics collected by Infrastructure.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you still have concerns around this.

Hi @Fidelicatessen
No I wasn’t aware of this. This will become useful though.
To me this seems more of a incident tracker. I was hoping to see something more along the lines of; we’ve made a network change - changed IP or hostname and who change it. Or we patched a server etc… I’m guessing that this will we captured.
I’ll have a look at this for now to see if it does capture the bits I’m looking for.

Thanks for letting us know you’re going to check out those Inventory Change blocks in the dashboard. I’m going to add in a Feature Request for you as well, for greater deployment marker options. I’ll also add a poll to your original post for that.