Distributed Tracing Showing No Traces Even Though Spans are Reported (AWS Lambda)

I have a set of javascript AWS lambdas that are reporting data to newrelic. I can see the lambda invocations and Spans being reported in new relic indicating that data is being reported. But the distributed tracing view is not showing any data, just the below message

We couldn’t find any traces

Try selecting a different time window or different search criteria above.

If you’re still not seeing traces, double-check your configuration. For step-by-step instructions,

Is there any additional settings that I need to specifically enable Distributed Tracing?

I have extended the date range and confirmed that it covers the period where I can see lambda invocations.

The integration is done using the old cloudwatch log forwarding mechanism not the new lambda layer.

All the lambdas import newrelic as the first import and wrap the lambda handler in newrelic.setLambdaHandler.

I see the lambda invocations reporting as AwsLambdaInvocation events and when I use they query builder I can see that spans are being reported. I.e.

SELECT * FROM Span

Shows data corresponding to the spans from my lambdas.

However When I Navigate to the Traces view in distrubted tracing I see

We couldn’t find any traces

Try selecting a different time window or different search criteria above.

If you’re still not seeing traces, double-check your configuration. For step-by-step instructions,

I have set all the following environment variables that are mentioned in the docs, but cannot see a missing setting to enable distributed tracing or similar

NEW_RELIC_NO_CONFIG_FILE: true
NEW_RELIC_APP_NAME: my-app
NEW_RELIC_ACCOUNT_ID: <Account ID>
NEW_RELIC_TRUSTED_ACCOUNT_KE: <Account ID>
NEW_RELIC_SERVERLESS_MODE_ENABLED: true

Any help or advice on what else to look for would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Even I’m facing the same issue. Any help is appreciated.

Hey @edc.open,

You can see here that you can also set the environment variable NEW_RELIC_DISTRIBUTED_TRACING_ENABLED.

I hope that helps!