Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Document linking or storage

My company has a consistent problem with the creation of documentation that has significant value, but loses focus because it is widely distributed across many team pages. My question is this: Is it possible to create documents or custom fields inside of an application APM or Insights page. My thought is that this will assist with a more consistent review and update policy.

Service Documentation - SLO, SLI, Error Budget
Service Documentation - SLO, SLI, Error Budget

Hello @reopelle.scott,

You can create private or public notes in an application in the APM on charts and maps. Is that similar to what you were thinking?

If that’s not what you’re looking for, let me know! We’re always interested in getting product feedback.

Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It does not work for my original ask. What I want to do is find a way to link a document, let’s say an application’s “Service Level Objective” documentation, directly to the page where their metrics are displayed.
The benefit of this is anyone who visits this page can immediately see the documentation for their performance objectives. It also limits having to search elsewhere for a document that should be reviewed on a regular basis.
The Apdex is an indicator of response time, but of nothing else that makes up a teams performance objective such as, how may errors are they allowed against their error budget, what are the Service Level Indicators that have been identified as critical, things like that…
Let me know if this help clarify what I’m asking for. I know it was probably a stretch, but I’m trying to help our monitoring team develop a complete site reliability strategy.

Hey @reopelle.scott! Thanks for expanding on what you’re looking for after @ntierney’s last message, I think I understand what you’re looking for - when you visit a page or chart in New Relic, you’d like to see an additional window or section of the page where you are able to put your company/team-specific notes or documentation, so that both the New Relic charts and that team’s details are viewable in one place. Did I get that right?

If so, the options for that is a bit limited with the New Relic UI in terms of customization options for something of that caliber. The chart notes mentioned previously is one way to go, and would at least provide a link for your users to click that would guide them towards your SLO documentation or similar.

Another way that might provide more flexibility would be to use Insights and create Dashboard Notes, which uses Markdown syntax and lets you include more information than a standard note. Perhaps your documentation can be converted to this and placed here, along with other charts that are related for the team/task at hand.

One thing I would really consider though is trying to do what you’re wanting to accomplish in reverse - let’s take your scenario for Apdex:

The Apdex is an indicator of response time, but of nothing else that makes up a teams performance objective such as, how may errors are they allowed against their error budget, what are the Service Level Indicators that have been identified as critical, things like that…

For this, instead of figuring out how to put your documentation into New Relic, we can try putting New Relic into your documentation. Pretty much all of the charts within New Relic are able to be embedded on to other pages - if this works for your documentation, then this provides the best flexibility. So, your team can visit your documentation page, see how many errors are allowed, SLI’s, etc. and then look at the live embedded chart on the same page for direct comparison. You can then include a link to the New Relic UI, just in case they need to dig deeper at that point beyond what’s shown in the embeds.

Let us know what you think of those options! If you haven’t already, I recommend adding this as a Feature Idea to help keep our developers aware of what our customers need, and it lets other people vote and add their voice to the idea as well. Feel free to ask any questions that come up!

@sschneider, Thank you for the well thought out reply. My goal is to go to our monitoring team and propose some alternatives. This is definitely a viable alternative.