End of life for "Sum of query results" thresholds

@danielgomezblanco

Yes, that’s correct – if you’re not using value_function, then you’re not using “sum of query results” alert conditions and you won’t be affected by this.

Hi Team!

Can I change my queries from sum(metric.name) to just count(metric.name) if the count is ok for my semantics ?

1 Like

Also interested whether it affects or not the “count” operator?
Cause i see warning in my alert conditions page. Please explain.
Thanks

Hi @Dmitriy.Muzychuk1

Can I change my queries from sum(metric.name) to just count(metric.name) if the count is ok for my semantics ?

Sliding Window Aggregation can use either, and will aggregate the value over your configured window duration.

Hello @kostyantyn

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, here, but count(*) is certainly one way you can use Sliding Window Aggregation.

It may be that you’re using count(*) without Loss of Signal and seeing warnings in your preview graph that aren’t lining up with incidents being opened. Please see the article I wrote about when to use Loss of Signal settings (and why) at this link.

The preview graph can sometimes behave like this because it’s pulling from data at rest, while the alert evaluation is happening with streaming data. This can lead to situations where nothing is broken, but the preview graph is showing something different than what the alert is actually doing (like showing an incident when there is no incident opening). We don’t love this, and have plans to eventually improve the preview graph.

Hi @Fidelicatessen

Can you clarify whether existing sum of aggregations will cease to work on the 30th June?

Or they will be automatically moved to SWA or something else?

Sorry I haven’t been able to find the answer for myself

Hi @stuart.elvins1

Good question – I hadn’t explicitly stated the details yet! I put these details in the overall “sum of” announcement (linked here), but have copy/pasted them below for your convenience:

On July 1, 2022, New Relic will:

• Start migrating all of your “Sum of” alert conditions automatically to SWA. We hope to have this done on all accounts within the first week or two of July.
    • If any conditions fail to migrate because of the edge cases listed in the bottom of this post , they will be archived and details will be saved. You will be able to contact your account team or support for the details if this is the case.
    • To avoid the above scenario, please use the bulk conversion tool to convert all of your “Sum of” conditions ahead of time.
  • Turn off the ability to create new “Sum of” conditions via the API. Note that this will cause any automation scripts to fail. You will need to adjust your automation scripts ahead of time to create SWA conditions instead of “sum of.”
    • Note that there is an in-UI helper in every “Sum of” condition, showing the difference in Terraform scripts between the “Sum of” condition you’re viewing and how it would be created in Terraform, and also showing the Nerdgraph mutation that would be used to modify this condition to be SWA.