New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Excessive logging at INFO level in version 5.13.0-6.2.0 of APM agent

logging

My team just recently upgraded from version 5.0.0 to version 5.13.0 of the Node newrelic agent, and noticed an explosion of new relic logging at the INFO level in our application logs. It looks like the agent is now logging the following every minute with our setup:

{"v":0,"level":30,"name":"newrelic","hostname":"local","pid":34910,"time":"2019-12-02T14:44:44.904Z","msg":"transaction_sample_data Aggregator data send.","component":"base_aggregator"}
{"v":0,"level":30,"name":"newrelic","hostname":"local","pid":34910,"time":"2019-12-02T14:44:44.905Z","msg":"analytic_event_data Aggregator data send.","component":"base_aggregator"}
{"v":0,"level":30,"name":"newrelic","hostname":"local","pid":34910,"time":"2019-12-02T14:44:44.905Z","msg":"custom_event_data Aggregator data send.","component":"base_aggregator"}

This is producing a lot of noise in our logs, but I would prefer not to bump the logging level down to WARN since there are actually useful messages logged at the INFO level (e.g. collector and connection info).

My question: Was this an intentional change to log these event messages at the INFO level? To me they seem like they should be DEBUG or TRACE level messages, but I didn’t know if there was a reason this needed to be logged at INFO. Will these event-level messages be changed to a different log level in the future, or is there any way to disable just those log messages? Many thanks!

I should mention too that we first noticed this upon upgrading to version 5.13.0. But we’ve since gone up to 6.2.0 and it’s still happening there.

Hey Jeff @jeff.largent !

Thank you for all the great info and context into your setup.

Was this an intentional change to log these event messages at the info level?

• The 5.13 agent made significant, internal changes to the way the agent sends data to New Relic. Part of those changes is this behavior within these base info level logs you are seeing. This is the current expected behavior yes.

Will these event-level messages be changed to a different log level in the future?

• We don’t have any plans to change these. I recommend that you submit this to the community as a Feature Idea so that others can see it and add their voice to the discussion. It helps our product managers to gauge the level of excitement and need from our customers:
    https://discuss.newrelic.com/c/feature-ideas

Is there any way to disable just those log messages?

• Currently there is not. This would be another Feature Idea following the same steps as above.

The hope behind this log level’s usage as the default is to implement some level of logging so that when there are issues it’s not completely invisible.

You could bump down to warn level logging if you would like less verbose logs.
More information here:

https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/nodejs-agent/installation-configuration/nodejs-agent-configuration#logging_config

Please let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions.

Thanks Michael, that is helpful to know. We will probably just bump down to warn for now to suppress the messages but would certainly be interested in more granularity in such logging messages in the future. I will take a look at the Feature Idea are and see if I can submit something there.