New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Explorers Hub Treasure Hunt

Ahoy, Explorers!

We’re sending you on a hunt for New Relic treasure…

Improve your product, improve your business, and keep your customers happy. That’s what we’re all about here at New Relic. The New Relic Platform is designed to give you instant end-to-end intelligence across your customer experience, application performance, and dynamic infrastructure. So we’ve designed a Treasure Hunt that will take you from one end of our platform to the other, and then back again.

Some of the clues are technical, some are just for fun, and all of them are silly. We want you to engage by sharing with the community how you fared on this treasure hunt—share your screenshots in this thread when you solve any of the clues listed below. All participants that get this far will win booty! (…which is fun community badges and even New Relic swag.)

Don’t use all the products in the clues? Give them a try! All of the New Relic products listed below are available for you to trial. It’s usually just a click of a button in the New Relic UI, but if you have any trouble, let us know. Note: you can only trial a product once.

RULES

Solve, execute, and share what you learn from the clues listed below in this thread, earn treasure!

Anyone who solves one clue and shares will get a badge! Solving 5 clues will get you a badge and a New Relic sticker pack and solving 10 clues will get you all of those things, PLUS a coffee mug!

badge > stickers > mug

• Proudly display your solved clues by posting screenshots as a reply to this post
  • All screenshots, code snippets and other Treasure Hunt contributions must be submitted before October 1, 2018
  • Claim your prizes!

We will be checking in on you throughout the month to make sure it’s smooth sailing! :ocean: Also be sure to attend our Coffee Chats we have scheduled for this month for help with these clues from New Relic experts.

CLUES

1. Dashboard, dashboard on the wall, do you have widgets that show all? Screenshot your dashboard that pulls data from every New Relic product you use. Available Data in Insights - NR Docs

2. A picture is worth a thousand words but an emoji can show your system is on :fire:! Send an emoji as a custom attribute in Insights to signal how your system is doing. We wanna see that screenshot. Custom events & Attributes

3. Show us the money usage! Screenshot a query you would use for looking at your favorite New Relic product’s usage. (Double points for sharing a modified NRQL query!) Hint: this used to be located in the Manage Data tab in Insights. Usage Page Resource - NR Docs

4. Slack, Hipchat, OpsGenie or Campfire, it’s notifications you’ll need to acquire! Screenshot an Alert notification in your workplace’s chatty space. Webhook Resources - Level Up Post

5. It’s all about that base, ‘bout that base, -line alerting. It takes the guessing out, guessing out, of alerting. So share your screen shot of the NRQL query you use to create a baseline alert for your organization. Baseline Alerting Resource - Level Up Post

6. What keeps you up at night? :zombie::woman_zombie: Share your most critical Alert condition with us. Alert Conditions - NR Docs

7. Does the idea of plaid really stump you? Because it seemed to really stump people in our last treasure hunt—the Insights UI will sometimes go plaid, how many of you can make it look rad? (This is a freebie for those of you who participated last time!) Show us a screenshot of your data wearing plaid! Insights Easter Egg Resource - Explorers Hub

8. Apples to fake apples: New Relic Browser monitors real users, Synthetics simulates users, how do you compare? Share a screenshot of a comparative chart! Comparative Charting Resource - NR Blog

9. We all know that cats rule the internet, do they rule your data? Send us a screenshot of your favorite feline friend taking over your Insights dashboards. Dashboard Notes Resource - NR Docs

10. Let’s cha-cha slide: slide to the front, step to the back! Show us Insights monitoring front to back with a screenshot highlighting a front end and back end connection in New Relic.
    1- Frontend NRQL - Level Up Post <> 2 - Backend NRQL - Level Up Post

11. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain. :clown_face: Screenshot your user preferences page where your name is your favorite comic book villain. (Obfuscate your email address though of course!). User Preferences Resource - NR Docs

12. “When you come crash into me” :musical_note: …more like why you come crash into me?! Right? You gotta know details about your Mobile crashes. Show us a screenshot of your most problematic crash location using our Mobile Crash Analysis feature. Crash Analysis Resource - Level Up Post

13. We all love Netflix binging, but can you find your favorite shows in Google using New Relic Synthetics? Send a screenshot of that screenshot so we can all enjoy. (Note: we will be judging your tv taste.) Writing Scripted Browsers - NR Docs

14. The future is now: there are “smart refrigerators” that will tell you when your food is about is expire. Did you know that New Relic Synthetics will tell you when your SSL Cert is about to expire?! Share a screenshot of this code snippet in the wild! (The most entertaining console.log messages wins extra points!) Synthetics SSL Monitor Resource - Level Up Post

15. What is worse that getting an error? Getting an error you can’t see. Insights can bring your JS errors out of Browser and into a dashboard for easy and straightforward debunking. PageAction Events Resource - Level Up Post

Bonus: Are you taking advantage of our newest out-of-the-box feature? Share a screenshot of Distributed Tracing live in your world! Distributed Tracing Resource - Level Up Post

Bonus: Hammer, awl, nail, saw, :hammer:, you’re going to want to toss this tool in your bag! The New Relic Diagnostics tool is here to help you self serve on any common configuration issue. Screenshot any failures and successes you see in your terminal and post here! Diagnostics Resource - NR Docs

Double bonus: share your favorite pirate/ treasure themed joke or pun with us.

Welcome New Explorers | September 5 2018

Here is an alert from these past days…

Hope this is what is was required… :smiley:

Little bit of the stuffs :slight_smile:

Gonna have to scrape RetailMeNot for a discount code soon…

#SlackAllTheThings

Honestly had forgotten we could do this… BRB, rewriting all the alerts

RDS free space alerts anyone?

We’ve gone plaid!

Data Cat is your new overlord

From the Infra to the APM to the Synthetics

To be clear though, Venom is really an antihero more than a villain so…

Let’s just make sure Netflix isn’t going to ruin my binge weekend…

Q: How much did the pirate pay for his piercings?
A: A buck-an-ear.

Not really an answer to any clue, but it’s loosely pirate themed as it’s my miniature infrastructure monitor based on Pimoroni’s BLINKT for Raspberry Pi. Notice their Pirate logo in the “screenshot” :wink:
Each of the 8 RGB LEDs is reporting values (0-255) per server for CPU (red), Network (green) and disk (blue). Sort of a 1D display of NRQL.

Why are pirates pirates? Because they ARRR! :wink:

@durante! You nailed it! Good work. Got any more?

@zackm! You killed this challenge dead! :skull_and_crossbones:. Excellent work on every front.

@ian.hodgetts! I really love your creativity, so you are getting bonus points.

Slack, Hipchat, OpsGenie or Campfire, it’s notifications you’ll need to acquire! Screenshot an Alert notification in your workplace’s chatty space.

@cgambrell - You have impeccable TV taste.

@kapilkumar.jain - Thanks for participating here! I noticed that your screenshot included a user’s email address, so I edited that to pixelate the email address.

Looking forward to seeing any other clue submissions you have :smiley:

What keeps you up at night? :zombie::woman_zombie: Share your most critical Alert condition with us.

Was trying to add a second FACET. See NRQL alerts with more than 1 FACET

A double dose…

A picture is worth a thousand words but an emoji can show your system is on :fire:! Send an emoji as a custom attribute in Insights to signal how your system is doing. We wanna see that screenshot.

We all know that cats rule the internet, do they rule your data? Send us a screenshot of your favorite feline friend taking over your Insights dashboards.

New%20Relic%20Cat%20Emoji%20Insights%20Attribute

Although I was unable to FACET by a column that contains emoji.
Query: SELECT count(*) from Transaction where appName='cgambrell-test' FACET disposition
Where: disposition is populate with “:taco:” or “:cat:

Good stuff. I have learned a few things going through the hunt.

Does the idea of plaid really stump you? Because it seemed to really stump people in our last treasure hunt—the Insights UI will sometimes go plaid, how many of you can make it look rad? (This is a freebie for those of you who participated last time!) Show us a screenshot of your data wearing plaid!

Awesome @cgambrell - I especially love a cat name Furbar.

In case anyone is interested in replicating my mini-monitor, my code is here:

(be kind, it’s the first Python program I’ve written from scratch) :wink:

I love it @ian.hodgetts thanks for sharing! One of my favourite things is hacking together projects like this. Both useful and fun. There’s a youtube video that I like in which this guy, Tom, makes a physical emoji keyboard using 14 qwerty keyboards.

I’m not sure if it’s still used, but I once heard of another New Relic customer using a physical flashing light and siren that was triggered by New Relic Alerts. That could get annoying, but again it seems like fun project to hack away with.

I’ve also got a “tower lamp” (4 colours plus buzzer) that’s querying Jenkins builds to monitor our test environment. I only hacked someone else’s code for that one though :slight_smile:

Oh my, so much goodness here!

1. So much data – everything except for Browser … but its coming!

1. Some days this is the only Emoji that works

1. Sub-accounts are in vogue in our New Relic environment. I’ve tweaked the NRQL query behind the new Data Usage page to exclude our Master account and focus on the Last 1 week of data for only our sub-accounts.

1. As a remote worker, I could not survive without Slack. In fact, Slack integration was one of the first things we enabled when we started touching New Relic. I mean, why not?!? It really is so stupid simple to do.

1. Song quotes are so much fun…especially when they talk about data!

Take me to the old playground
Where the talk is cheap
And the restless stalk the baseline

What, data isn’t your playground? Oh. OK, well here is our baseline alert for PCF Firehose RouteSynced events. I’ll be over in our data playground if you need me.

1. Linux on an AD domain? Yep – and SSSD is what makes the world go around. If it stops, pruning gets a little … aggressive. This helps our Cloud Ops team sleep at night.

1. As a Canadian, I approve of the judicious use of plaid. I mean, its the official colour of Canada, isn’t it?!?

I think there will be a few more to come … this treasure hunt is addictive!

Your dumpster fire image made me LOL, @jbiggley! :joy:

Thank you for the wise words about Slack + alerting. Our CEO has said: if you aren’t utilizing Alerts, you aren’t monitoring!

Excellent work here! I hope you come back for more, soon!

Ps. I was so hoping to get to learn your favorite TV show out of this… can I assume it’s also Canadian?

In the words of the former Governator I’ll be back!

Most of my TV watching was as a kid and, yes, mostly Canadian stuff. Fraggle Rock was probably one of my all-time favorites, but I was known to skip school to watch The A-Team, McGuyver, etc. :smiley:

I :heart: Fraggle Rock!

“Dance your cares away, worry’s for another day. Let the music play, down at Fraggle Rock!” :musical_note: