Failed to detect New Relic instrumentation for Ionic/Android App

With reference to the Android implementation outlined here:
https://rpm.newrelic.com/accounts/346636/mobile/setup?id=4462132#tab-android_tabs=ant
and also a similar issue at Failed to detect New Relic instrumentation

This is an Android app using the Ionic framework and the Ant implementation seems the most relevant.

Step 1 Like the issue above, when I download NewRelic_Android_Agent_4.87.0.zip I get newrelic.android.jar and not newrelic.agent.jar, but I can confirm that this is in the /libs dir.

Ant path: -javaagent:/Users/User/Github/Development/newrelic-android-4.87.0/lib/class.rewriter.jar

Step 2 is confirmed in the AndroidManifest.xml in platforms/android

Step 3 is confirmed within platforms/android/src/com/ionicframework/ionicdemo3/Testapp.java

import android.os.Bundle;
import org.apache.cordova.*;
import com.newrelic.agent.android.NewRelic;

public class Testapp extends CordovaActivity
{
@Override
public void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
{
super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
super.init();
// Set by in config.xml
super.loadUrl(Config.getStartUrl());
//super.loadUrl(“file:///android_asset/www/index.html”);

NewRelic.withApplicationToken("xxxxx").start(this.getApplication());

}

}

Step 4 is confirmed within app root (platforms/android)

The build is successful and this is from the logs from the app running on GenyMotion.

E/com.newrelic.agent.android( 1444): Failed to detect New Relic instrumentation. Something likely went wrong during your build process and you should contact support@newrelic.com.
I/com.newrelic.agent.android( 1444): Application state monitor has started

Any suggestions or ideas on what to fix would be very helpful.

Thanks

New Relic Edit

• I want Android Java 8 support, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @rusty - it looks like we’re helping you in our ticketing system so we’ll keep it there. Thank you!

After some internal investigation we’ve unfortunately discovered that we are not compatible with Ionic currently.

We will definitely make sure this is recorded as a feature request so our product management team is aware of the growing interest on that framework.

+1 for Ionic integrations

Hi @DXIL - I have sent your +1 off to our project managers. Thank you!

Have there been any updates on this ? Is New Relic still incompatible with Android apps built in Cordova/PhoneGap ?

Hi @ld0rman! No updates on this yet; I will add your request for our product managers. Thank you!

Hi @Lisa,

Is ionic/cordova for Android still not supported or is it available? (Or will it come available shortly :smiley: )

@Martijn Cordova/PhoneGap is supported, but the Ionic framework still is not. I am happy to put in a feature request for you so my product managers can see that you’re interested! The more people they see wanting Ionic, the better! :blush:

1 Like

@Linds I was wondering if there are any updates on this topic. Is Cordova/Ionic for both Android and iOS already supported or is it on the roadmap to support this combination?
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Martijn - still no word on this, but I have updated the thread to our new process. Please cast a vote above.

1 Like