Feature idea: Ability to auto-scale k8s pods with NewRelic custom metrics

We are in the process of researching the approach of auto-scaling kubernetes pods with metric data stored in NewRelic. Our application code is reporting custom metrics with the NewRelic Java agent, and we would like to make use of it for scaling the pods in Kubernetes. I did go through the NewRelic documentation and user forums about Kubernetes integration, NewRelic Infrastructure Agent, and Prometheus integration. We could use the NewRelic Alert workflow to trigger a pipeline which scales the pods. The other method is using Kubernetes Metric Server to scale pods via Horizontal Pod Scaler. There exist a rudimentary/unofficial integration https://github.com/FlexShopper/newrelic-custom-metrics . Other solutions like Prometheus, StackDriver, DataDog have an official supported integration with Kubernetes Metric Server, which allows defining scale conditions for Horizontal Pod AutoScaler using their metrics data.

What is your recommendation to auto-scale pods with NewRelic custom metrics?

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

I don’t think we have anything new since Sean’s message in the thread you linked:

I’ll get your feature idea filed to the product team for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

At last review this feature was not accepted to be added to the roadmap. This request has been closed.

It is a bit of a shame since DataDog supports it and I would make Kubernetes integration really useful …

1 Like