Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Add browser plugins/extensions to JS errors log

browser
feature-idea

It would be useful to see patterns of installed extensions in user browser when collecting JS errors.
That would allow to more effectively reproduce errors in isolated environment.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @evgeniy.moroz - Would you expect this to be attached to the PageView event?

I performed a quick internet search and it is possible for you to craft the required javascript to detect browser plugins or extensions, quite easily. You could then add a custom attributes to the PageView event to implement a solution?

Hey @evgeniy.moroz - I’ll get a feature idea submitted for you to get plugin/extension information captured by default. In the meantime, Stefan’s reply should help to get this working for you with Custom Attributes.

Hey @stefan_garnham thanks for the suggestion, but I’m talking regarding JS errors. I bet it would be useful to see browser extensions during JS error investigations.
I’m not sure there it is possible to correlate PageView with JS error in order to read custom attributes. It there something I can consume?

That is also explained in the documentation link I provided. If you add a custom attribute to a PageView event, it is also added to the JavascriptError event.

Errors for custom attributes will be included in events on the JS Errors page. To view or log errors for a custom attribute via API, use the Browser API’s noticeError call.

Thanks, it seems that it fully solves the initial request.
Sorry for missing this info in the documentation.

I’m glad to hear that Stefan’s advice helps you out @evgeniy.moroz

Thanks for helping, @stefan_garnham :smiley: