New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Add 'does not contain' filter to infrastructure & it's alerts

feature-request
feature-idea

Feature Request:
Please add a ‘does not contain’ filter to infrastructure and the alerts you can define in infrastructure. That way we could exclude one specific pattern.

Why:
Instead today we have to create a lot of alert rules, just because we want to exclude one disk mount path.
Furthermore, if we forget, a new disk does not get monitored because we need to manually add a new rule.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

This would be helpful in other places also, not only in Infrastructure. If you add such an comparison operator, please make it available generally.

Thanks so much for sharing your use cases, @reto.lehmann and @wkiNewRelic!

Please be sure to add your votes above! :blush:

Another place where this feature would be super-helpful is query like “all transactions where transaction name does NOT contain word ‘heartbeats’” - this would allow to switch between observing all transactions to observing only non-heartbeats, depending on the environment and current situation. There are more use cases for ‘exclusion’ filter, it is just one of use cases.

Hi, @opoplavsky: You can do that today:

SELECT * FROM Transaction WHERE name NOT LIKE '%heartbeats%'

Thank you, you are totally right, one can use a ‘NOT’ clause when building new query, my use case was more for the user looking at pre-built event-based dashboard, and using UI filters to dynamically filter data that is displayed in dashboard charts.

Hey @opoplavsky Does not contain is definitely a feature idea we have seen before. We’ve got that filed internally and so the appropriate teams are of the necessity for this feature. That said, in the meantime my colleague @gjohnson wrote this great Level-Up Post on Exclusion Filtering, which may help: