New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Adding labels to dashboards

feature-idea

As a dashboard author and service owner, I would like others to be able to discover dashboards that are related to my service.

Why?

As a company with a lot of teams working on micro services, people create specific dashboards a lot. One thing that seems to be lacking is a way for teams to link their dashboards back to their service. This means that as someone looking for problems or ways that people monitor their application, I can’t find out how a specific team does it from their APM view.

We also are wanting to have the New Relic One APM view be the “homepage” for a service. Where we have been augmenting the side bar with New Relic One Apps in order to get stuff like kubernetes, aws, and logging info discoverable.

How?

Our hope with labels is that teams can tag their dashboards with the same service label that they tag their APM application with. We can then make a New Relic One App that queries dashboard entities by tag, or links to a filtered view. This then allows people to discover a services’ dashboards from their “homepage”.

Note

There is technically a “workaround” which is to enforce naming conventions for dashboards to include service name/environment in the title, which would technically achieve the same effect. This is difficult to enforce company wide, and hopefully labels would be easier to discover for dashboards.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @kevin.simons - We had a similar issue which we resolved by adding a custom attribute to the Transaction event and also PageView. This enabled us to set up a set of standardised filterable dashboards by that attribute to display the data for that service.

Stefan has some good thoughts on this, @kevin.simons

I have got a feature idea added for you internally - and got a poll added for others to vote on having labels added into dashboards.