Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Allow filtering by exclusion

feature-idea
new-alerts

I have recently started using New Relic Infrastructure and have found a limitation in two areas of the product.
Firstly, I’d like to be able to create Filter Sets more flexibly, specifically by EXCLUSION.
E.g. I can very easily INCLUDE by a hostname pattern for example, but I’d like to do things like “include all hosts but exclude a hostname pattern”, or “include a hostname pattern but exclude some named hosts”.
Secondly I’d like to be able to “Narrow down hosts” whilst creating an Alert Condition by inclusion and exclusion as above.
I have circumvented this issue by using custom attributes for now, so when I create an Alert Condition I Narrow down hosts using an appropriate custom variable and if I want to exclude a specific hostname from that alert condition, I change the custom variable in my Ansible hosts file for that hostname and re-deploy the NR agent and then use that custom variable in the Alert Condition dialog.
However, I see this as a lot of hassle, especially if people are not using Ansible, and I’d really rather just do it in the NR GUI.
I’m assuming it would be relatively easy to have two sections under the category “Narrow down hosts” one as it is now, and another entitled “Exclude” and the host filter would take both of these into account.
That would take care of Alert Conditions. It might be a bit trickier in the Filter Hosts dropdown on the main Infrastructure tabs but I’m sure it would be possible to have some way of negating any selection to exclude them rather than include them.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Complex filters on Infrastructure alerts

Hey @gxw! I really appreciate all the detail around what you would like to see! I have added a poll so our Product Managers can keep track of who is interested in this! Thanks again! :blush:

You can use the API to do this. Example is here: On excluding specific hosts from NR Infrastructure alerts

Thank you, @mruckman! What a great workaround. You are awesome for sharing. :blush:

No problem :slight_smile: This should still be implemented in the GUI though. Just put in an input dialog into the alert condition page and have some docs on how close or far from SQL syntax is allowed to be used.

I definitely hear you there, @mruckman! :wink: I’ll add your input to the official request. Thanks!

Any updates on this feature request. It’s been nearly a year now.

@d.ma No updates right now, but we do have a Level-Up post on using the API for exclusion filtering.