New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Allow Selection of Entities for NRQL Alert Conditions

nrql
feature-idea
rfb

Applying “standard” NRQL conditions to lots deployable applications (e.g. microservices architecture) can be a painfully manual process.

For example, we have an alert condition for stalled transactions (see NRQL below). Rather than clone this NRQL condition for each applicable application (each with a different hardcoded appName value), it would be much easier if we could define a single NRQL alert condition without appName, and then use the standard entity selector to choose the applicable applications.

SELECT count(*) from Transaction WHERE appName = ‘myapp-1’ and transactionType =‘Other’ and duration > 300

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Great use case, @brian.vanallen Thanks! :blush:

Be sure to vote above!

How to add labels on NRQL based alerts?

Hi @brian.vanallen - I think I have a temporary solution for you. Add a label to the applications, something like ‘StalledTransation:True’ so that you can identify the applications which you wish to alert against. You can then change your query to include all applications with this label.

SELECT count(*) from Transaction WHERE StalledTransaction= 'True' and transactionType ='Other' and duration > 300

Hi, @stefan_garnham: Have you tried this? I cannot get it to work. I have labeled some of my applications with Environment:Production , but the following query returns no results:

SELECT appName FROM Transaction WHERE Environment = 'Production'

@brian.vanallen - I provided you information which is not correct, I had added a custom attribute as the workaround, not the label.

Thanks to @philweber for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks for clarifying that Stefan