New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Apdex chart x axis

apdex
feature-idea

Hi,

I’m looking to use apdex charts to communicate systems health to end users of our app. I notice however that the chart does not have a labelled x axis as far as I can tell. I was wondering if there was some way to enable this or to format the chart to this end? It would greatly increase utility, and it has in fact been pointed out as a problem by the customers I’ve demoed this with.

Thanks!

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @oliver.clark -

Thanks for posting here. The X-Axis of the Apdex chart in APM is time.
Customising chart axes is not currently possible - though, a potential workaround would be to build this apdex chart through NRQL in Insights.

With a query like:

SELECT apdex(duration, 0.5) FROM Transaction WHERE appName = 'MyApp' SINCE 60 MINUTES AGO

The Insights charts do have an X-Axis.

Hey @oliver.clark. Overnight I was informed by @philweber that my NRQL example isn’t the best workaround here.

the apdex() function in Insights does not factor in TransactionErrors, which are counted as a frustrated apdex score in APM. Insights simply looks at response times for its Apdex calculations.

I’m going to go ahead and get a feature request opened up for you - for the ability to add labels to chart axes in APM, which will meet your needs, as my Insights workaround is not ideal. I’ll go ahead and add a poll to your post too for others to vote here.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Interestingly I found a workaround in that x values are visible when exporting the chart as an image or expanding from the browser pane; and when added to a custom insights dashboard. I was previously looking at the APM pane and for whatever reason the expand and get image options aren’t present that I can see. Even so, I do find it odd that the values are not visible by default when viewing either overview page. On account of the above my current process has been to use screenshots of the expanded view as the export image is relatively small.

As another workaround I was trying to use NRQL to generate a table chart which I could export as a csv file and use to generate custom charts in excel, but I guess this isn’t viable given your last comment. Another alternative was to copy data from the email reports I currently receive fortnightly, though this gives me limited control over the data I have access to use at any given time.

Axis customization is definitely a feature I think would be helpful. I’ve noticed that the scale on the y axis of apdex differs between the Browser and APM views despite both displaying the same data from what I can tell. The APM view is from ~0.8-1 whereas the browser view is 0-1. The result is that the APM version provides significantly more detail. The ability to tweak things like this would be very helpful but I appreciate this is a more minor concern.

Thanks for your help so far!

Hey @oliver.clark - Glad to hear you’ve got a workaround in insights with chart images.

I can totally see the need for customisable chart axes. So that feature request I opened up for you will go to the appropriate product managers.