Feature Idea: API for detecting if crash report will be sent out

I would like to be able to detect on app start up, if a crash report will be submitted. In other words, if a crash happened on previous launch, I would like to detect that on next launch.

My specific use case for this is Foreground Out Of Memory event detection on iOS. I would like to track how often my app is crashing due to memory pressure. (I plan on submitting another ticket for that as a feature). As part of this effort, i need to detect if the app crashed in a more standard manner, without interfering with NewRelic crash reporting.

I could also see this feature being useful in other ways:

• user alert on relaunch stating something like “we noticed our app crashed, we have sent our engineers a report and are working on a fix”
  • Other analytic tracking. Creating an event around crashes so that you know NOT to send a “do you like our app?” request.
  • Executing methods that check data integrity/existence after crash

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Excellent use case, @Johnathon.Karcz! Thank you for all the detail. I have passed this along to our Mobile product team so they can see how you and your team will benefit from this.

Be sure to also vote in the poll I have created above!