Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: API for Infrastructure

restapi
feature-request
api
feature-idea
infrastructure

We need an API for infrastructure so our apps can pull metrics. Especially when Server is going away next year, this is getting desperate.

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi, @terence: New Relic Infrastructure data is stored in NRDB, the database used by New Relic Insights, and Insights has a REST API.

If you provide an example of the type of data you would like to retrieve using the API, we can show you how to do it.

Phil, I’m interested in retrieving complete package details from the Infrastructure inventory collection via an API.

Hi, @barrywebb: I don’t know of any way to retrieve Infrastructure inventory data programmatically. I think this is a feature request.

Is there a plan to do this?

I’m also curious about this.

Hi @hcordero, @barrywebb and @protoben - I am glad you asked, however, Phil was right above: this is not something available right now. I am going to reach out to our Infrastructure team after the weekend and see if they can share any future plans for this. Thanks for your patience—in the meantime, I will create a poll so we can collect votes. :blush:

I would like to see the cpu usage for a filter set of hosts. Any clues how to do this using the insights API would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, @carl.reid: If you select your filter set in the Infrastructure UI, then click the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner of the CPU chart, you can view the NRQL query used to generate the chart:

You may omit the (entityId in (...)) portion; that is just how the chart shows the top 5 hosts. Once you have the Insights query, it is a simple matter to execute it with the Insights query API.