Feature Idea: API to update Dashboards within Data App

I am using API to update my Dashboards. However, the API currently does not have the ability to update the Dashboards within Data App. As a workaround, I update the dashboard via API and import it again in a Data App.
This does work, but we have 5-6 dashboards in our Data App, so it becomes tedious to go over this process for all the dashboards.

Since dashboards are part of Data App, can we have API / feature built to update the dashboard within Data App directly.

You are welcome to reply to this idea thread with your use case and other information that you think is vital for our Product Team to consider while they review this feature idea.

Please keep your reply concise and constructive for easier review. And be sure to replace these instructions with your addition.

Thanks!
Salil

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

3 Likes

Hi there @smahajan7 - Thanks so much for this excellent use case! I’ve added a poll here so that other an weigh in and we’ll be sharing this with our team. In the meantime, please let us know if you have any other details to add.

Ultimately, we would want a full set APIs to created, update, delete data apps for automated deployments of multiple data apps to multiple accounts.

3 Likes

@reggie.y - Thanks for sharing your requirements here. I’ll get that +1 added to our internal feature idea :smiley:

bump - we are looking to deploy a default set of dashboards to about 260 sub-accounts and this API feature is required to achieve that goal in a meaningful way. the only alternative is to create disparate dashboards via the existing dashboard API and teach all teams to go and look for each one individually :persevere:

Hey @anon85944545 - We can definitely get this bumped up to the product team. Though dashboarding efforts are focussed to New Relic One at the moment, it’s still a good feature idea for consideration in New Relic One dashboards as well as Insights.

1 Like

We would really benefit from that feature! In the process to reduce setup time we create all our alerts and dashboard via the API. This allows our team to easily create what they need for each of their project and for each environment with a minimum of manual steps. This way we can also ensure all project use the same templates for their alerts and dashboards (updates through the API)

Current limits:

• No way to easily use multi-page dashboards (new relic one) or data apps (Insights) since it is not possible to copy dashboard to data apps or to use the API to achieve that
  • If someone adds a new page to the dashboard in New Relic one, the dashboard is transfer to the new New Relic One data scheme and is therefore not accessible through the api anymore (cannot update the dashboard via the API afterward)
  • Instead of having one dashboard per project (with multiple pages) our dev teams have 4+ separated dashboards to navigate to for each project

Current workflow (not ideal):

1. Create/Update separated dashboard in the API (from templates)
  2. We cannot use data apps/multi-page dashboards

Wished workflow:

• Create New Relic One Dashboard via the API. This involve being able to create/update (CRUD) for each of the page of a dashboard.

Thanks.

New limit found with the current workflow:

• When you create a dashboard your are limited to 3 column width (as stated in the doc) even with new Relic One dashboard =(

However…if you edit the size of a widget in new relic one (let’s say width:5) you are now able to update the dashboard via the api with any size (1-12). This looks like a bug in the API.

Hey @fpoulin - Great feedback! Thank you so much for going into such detail :smiley:

I believe there is work ongoing to open up paginated dashboards to an API, most likely through the NerdGraph GraphQL API. I don’t have any timeline for that, but I understand it is on the way.

As for the issue of a 3 column width dashboard created from the API, that’s an issue you can work through with a Dashboard API attribute called grid_column_count

See more on that here:

1 Like

Thanks @RyanVeitch the “grid_column_count” attribute worked perfectly.

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks for confirming that :smiley: