Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: app-local newrelic.config should inherit from global newrelic.config

feature-request
.netagent
newrelic.config

This way the global configuration file can be used as a default which applies to all applications on a server, and the app-local file only needs to include the customisations relevant to that particular app.

For example, I have a handful of applications running on a server and the only thing that differs between them is the application names and labels. This forces me to reproduce the entire newrelic.config file for each application, and I have to propagate any other changes through every copy of the file.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @mfoster - If you re-read the .Net agent configuration documentation, you can set New Relic settings for the application name in web.config. I would assume that you could also set the labels in the web.config file as well.

Hi @stefan_garnham, you’re correct and that’s actually how I’m managing app names at the moment. The same isn’t true for labels, or if it is it’s undocumented.

Hi @mfoster - I just confirmed that this IS a feature idea, so I added a poll and logged this with our engineering team. Thanks for sharing and let us know if you have any details to add.