Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: appName for Applications within newrelic-infra.yml

webui
yml
feature-idea
infrastructure
rfb

Within NR Infrastructure page, there is the left page for “All hosts”. Within that pane, there is a link for “APPLICATIONS”. Presently it allows us to filter Infra to hosts where APM agent is installed. There is no way to list hosts where APM agent is not installed - like DB server and other servers we monitor via NR Infra.

Feature Idea:
Let us use appName (or other variable name) in newrelic-infra.yml as a valid Application Name for grouping within the “APPLICATIONS” link. Those which have APM agent installed will have link next to it as we have now “View in APM”. Those that do not have APM agents installed, will be visible for filtering but will not have the link “View in APM”. The benefit is that we can still filter by Application names for infrastructure irrespective of whether APM agent is installed or not.
I know we can create Filter Sets. But having it grouped by Application name “automatically” and viewed within the “APPLICATIONS” filter section makes more sense as it is all related to Infrastructure (that the Infrastructure Tab not APM Tab). This when we add new hosts, just by configuring the YML file, we will be getting to filter based on Application Name without need for APM agent.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

How to force Application name on hosts

I’d also very much like to see this functionality. (The poll link seems to be broken, BTW.) … I say I want this “functionality” because there could be many ways to implement it and maybe OP was too specific in how to solve the issue. I’d think to maintain backwards-compatibility and also retain the ability to distinguish between auto-appName’d and manually-appNamed infra-hosts that we’d (at least) need an additional attribute or flag to tell the cases apart. Could get very messy, then, in the case where an infra-host supports multiple apps. And, uglier still if some are ID’d based on local APM agents and some via manual-forcing via newrelic-infra.yml! … But, that really needs to be worked through. This feature is much needed.

@KC.Smith Thanks for adding your additional feedback here on this. I’ve got that added to the internal feature request here. (I’ve also fixed the poll on the original post, thanks for noticing that)