Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Attaching SQS Queue Alerts to APM

apm
feature-idea
integrations
aws-sqs

Hi New Relic,

I have a few important SQS queue’s that are pertinent to our application. Our current setup for alerting is through AWS Cloudwatch - “ApproximateNumberOfMessagesVisible &gt= N for N datapoints within N minutes”.

We would like to see if it’s possible to attach certain SQS queue alerts on New Relic to their respective APM. So that if the queue is in an alarm state, the APM will also show as being in an alarm state.

Is there a way to attach queues to APM so that if the queue alerts the APM will also be in an alert state?

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

@ian.arsenault - I don’t think we have any way to do that right now. I’ll get a feature idea filed for you internally - but you may be able to send a custom event in Insights when your SQS queue alerts, such that you have a New Relic NRQL alert trigger on at when the queue alerts too.

You’ll need to have a alert configured to look at a NRQL query where the value goes above 0 at least once in a given timeframe. When your queue alerts & sends that event, the query result would jump to 1, triggering a new relic alert.

This is a workaround, and it won’t show your APM App as alerting (red background), but if you’re looking for alerts in multiple places, this may be your best bet currently.

Thanks @RyanVeitch. We currently have NRQL alerts setup for our queues, but are looking to tie these alerts to their respective services. I appreciate you filing a new feature request.

Thanks,
Ian

Great! Good to know you’ve got that set up already :smiley: