New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Cassandra CQL support

feature-idea
rfb

Hi,

We are using django_cassandra_engine + datastax/cassandra-driver for our project. When I enabled the newrelic python agent, I did not see “database” under the “Monitor”. I know cassandra-driver is not listed as an officially supported package. Are there tricks that can make it work? If it depends on the support from newrelic, could folks from newrelic tell me whether it is on the road map for the near future? I see Cassandra is supported for newrelic java agent. Thanks.

James

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

@jamesc Greetings, unfortunately Cassandra support is not currently available with the Python agent. However, some customers have developed New Relic plugins to provide some additional insight into Cassandra operations.

I am creating a feature request on your behalf for Cassandra support within Python applications. While we can not give a guarantee when or if this utility will be added we do use these requests when planning our product development roadmap. We can not give an ETA as to when this may become available but will notify you if it does.

I wanted to follow up on the feature request mentioned above. Any updates on whether this will be implemented in the near future and is still on the development team’s roadmap?(understood an exact ETA isn’t possible, just want to see if anything has changed after 7 months). Thanks again.

@bbrostoff While I do not believe it is on the short term road map, I can check with our Product management team and get an update for you next week. Stay tuned.

@bbrostoff After getting some feedback from our Product Management Team, Cassandra support is very high on the list of next instrumentations we plan to implement, but not on the short term roadmap. We will keep this thread updated on progress and when more concrete timelines are laid out.

Thanks for your interest!

@agoetz
Has there been any update on the roadmap since May 2016?

No news to share right now, @cadupont. Thanks for checking in!

Please be sure to vote in the poll above and know that our product team is still looking into and prioritizing this.

Any update on when Cassandra could show up as a Datastore in APM?

Right now our APM overview only shows “non-web” and “redis”.

In truth, a significant amount of time is spent writing to Cassandra, and it would be great to have that represented.

Is there any way to have a transaction show up as “database” so our overview represents it?

I suppose we can mark transactions as a “Cassandra” group for now, but that won’t show on the overview.