Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Change hostname based on environment variable

feature-idea
windowsserver2016

We use amazon ec2 with autoscaling (windows instances). By default (I believe) this makes for all the hostnames of the machines to be equal. Because of all the same hostnames we cannot filter on specific hosts in APM, which is a very handy feature. I thought by reading the documentation it would be possible to do this by setting the environment variable “NEW_RELIC_PROCESS_HOST_DISPLAY_NAME”, but in this topic it was explained that that is currently not how it works.

In the same topic i understand that a feature-request was made, so i hope to hear from you if/when you’re planning to implement this.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hostnames for dotnet environment in APM

Thanks for cross posting here in the feature ideas space @jeroen.pot - I’m going to get a poll added to your post for others to vote on. :smiley:

+1! I’m a little surprised that APM and Infrastructure are so out of sync in this respect. Infra has no problem reporting EC2 instances with the same hostname as separate machines when the display name is set, I’d expect similar behaviour in APM.

Thanks for your feedback @bens1 - I’ll definitely get it passed on to the development team in our feature request. :slight_smile: