Feature Idea: Comments Section In An Alert Incident

Just a place where someone can type up a comment about the incident so others who come to investigate can quickly read up on the situation going on. I don’t think this is currently a thing but if it is, my apologies.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

1 Like

The only place to add comments is the Notes for APM currently. It would be useful to add notes to any area, or even a Notes section which you can then select the APM/Browser/Infrastructure items to attach the notes.

Edited to correct that Notes are viewable under the Tools menu. Notes can be added from any APM chart
though.

1 Like

Since this is not yet an option in the way that you described, @BigNStrauss, I have passed your feedback along and created a poll so others can vote for this feature! Thanks so much!

1 Like

I want comments to keep my policies straight and give context to maintainers.
I also want responders to be able to comment on individual incidents.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that extra context for our use case @jescott!

1 Like

can you provide status about the FR implementation?

a similar request is covered here: How do I add my notes or comments to the incident log?

we want to see this implemented as well

Hi there @Edwin.Renner -

This feature idea has not been implemented in the product. That said my colleague @ahorrigan has developed a potential way to implement user Webhooks as a workaround.

Webhooks are HTTP POST messages containing JSON documents delivered to a destination URL. When an incident is opened, acknowledged, or closed, New Relic’s webhook feature sends a message to your URL with any relevant information, such as a description of the event and a link back to New Relic.

You also have the option to customize the payload in the POST message for further integration into your system. The webhook format varies, depending on whether you use New Relic Alerts or the legacy alerting system.

With this, you would POST the alert incident data to an internal platform which can consume it, with an area where comments can be added. I understand this takes time and resources on your end - however, it is the only solution as it stands for having a comments section for alert incidents.

We also have a Level Up post in the community with more information about Webhooks if you want to try to implement this:

Again, I acknowledge this is not as ideal as having the feature, but it may get you what you are looking for.

1 Like