Feature Idea: Creating Metrics With Wildcards

So I am trying to create a few custom widgets based upon multiple metrics, now if I put into the search box something like:

for Plugins: Microsoft Sql Server > Some Server
Component/FileIO/Bytes%/%

I would expect to see all databases bytes written and read, however it only brings back SPECIFIC matches in the list, i.e 24 results for Component/FileIO/Bytes%/% but it wont just let me create a widget based on that criteria. If I were to select a specific one from the list it then makes the widget from that metric and I can click on each part of the criteria to turn certain ones to wildcards but cannot make them partials i.e Bytes% so am I missing something here or is there a way to basically tell it THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD QUERY ON rather than accepting the individual super granular results it matches?

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @lee_macro

I’m afraid that at this time we don’t support wildcarding metrics like you’re describing. I think that would be a great addition for a future update to the metric widget building functionality though! We’ll make sure this feedback gets sent to our Insights product manager for their consideration.

Hi folks! It was a little bit buried in this announcement, but you can now facet your NRQL queries on timeslice metrics coming from our APM agents, using the WITH METRIC_FORMAT... FACET... syntax.

2 Likes