Feature idea: Custom messages for NRQL alerts

We are starting to send out a lot of alerts from Newrelic to our incident management system.
Our incident management system then sends out emails and push notifications to all our Ops folks.
With a number of alerts coming to their inbox, The Ops team would like to see the exhaustive message in the subject line to make their life much easier.
Right now Newrelic’s alerts have a subject line which is a combination of the Query and condition name.
It would be nice to have a more custom message in the subject line.
In cases like a NRQL alert it just displays the condition name of the alert.
It would be nice to include facets in the subject line of NRQL alerts like other alerts.
And also the ability to send out a custom message using the facets and values from the query.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Thanks for posting this feature idea. I have added a poll and informed our product team.

Hi, thanks for suggesting this.
There are 2 features requested in this post. For the last one you mentioned about being able to
“send out a custom message using the facets and values from the query” , are you familiar with the new “Descriptions” field that we have added to NRQL Conditions? This field supports token substitution using attributes from the alert violation event. This, combined with the ability to specify multiple “facets” in a NRQL query, allow you to extract content from your time series or events, and have those included in the notification. You can read about it here:
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts/new-relic-alerts/defining-conditions/alert-condition-descriptions . This feature requires you to use the NerdGraph API for NRQL Conditions at the moment, but we are adding that field to the NRQL Conditions UI very soon.

Now, as for the subject line, we are working on that as part of a larger redesign effort for notifications. The simplified statement is that every part of a notification, including the title / subject should be customizable, and able to use attribute values from the violation event.

Take a look at those docs, and stay tuned for the rest.

Brian Goleno
Product Manager, Applied Intelligence

2 Likes