New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Custom metric wildcards?

feature-request
alerts-beta
feature-idea

I have a dashboard that uses a custom metric wildcard to display: Custom/QueueSize/*

My alerts only seem to work when I put in exact custom metric names. Is that the case, and can we expect wildcards to work in the future?

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Alerting on custom metrics - wildcard support?
Metric graphs with wildcards

Hi Domenic, that is our intention. We have to do a little plumbing first but we want to allow this very thing for this very reason :slight_smile:

Is this feature coming soon? I have the same need.

Thanks!

Hey @brandon2,

We don’t have an ETA on when this may be available at this time, but I’ve made sure to pass on your interest in this feature to our product team for visibility.

Cheers!

Still no ETA for this? I have the same need. Wildcards alerts would be very helpful for custom plugins too.

Still no ETA @kchristidis—I will add your +1 to the list and make sure a feature request gets put in for you right now. AND I will be updating this thread as soon as there is news on this! :blush:

I’m yet another person that needs this feature.

Do we have a reasonable workaround for multiple custom metrics that we would like to monitor for failures?
I don’t imagine listing all my custom metrics in separate alert conditions as it wouldn’t be maintainable.

Hi @leni.kirilov - I have checked with my team and there is no workaround for this short of making individual custom metrics. :frowning: I’ll go ahead and submit a feature request for you on this one.

Hi,
Is there a rough ETA when the Feature would be made available ? We have to depend on wild cards for a lot of our JMX metrics and alerting.

No word yet, @Siva_Palanivel! I will make sure my product managers know you are interested! Putting in a feature request for you now—the more voices they hear really speeds up the process. :wink:

Another +1 for this feature request! Support for wildcards in matching custom metrics names would be very nice to have.

Gotcha, @john.cavanaugh! Adding a feature request for you right now!

My team would also like to see this feature.

Hi @sso_subscriptions_0a

I’ve added a feature request for you :smiley:

I’m looking forward to hearing more about this feature. Thank you for putting in a request.

We would also appreciate wildcards in custom metric alerts. Is there an ETA on this feature?

This might be the wrong place, but I’m new so shoot me:
When creating the custom metric alert there doesn’t seem to be a good way to test it. I’d like to see a button something automatic that pulls the number or metric and shows you what it is currently so you can be sure you have entered it all corectly.
Throw in a check to see if the metric that is being pulled passes the test in the alert as well for good measure.

Hi @Jarle.Lindseth,

We would also appreciate wildcards in custom metric alerts. Is there an ETA on this feature?

I do not have an ETA for this feature to share with you at this time, however I have added you to the feature request. Thanks for expressing your interest in this feature.

When creating the custom metric alert there doesn’t seem to be a good way to test it. I’d like to see a button something automatic that pulls the number or metric and shows you what it is currently so you can be sure you have entered it all corectly.
Throw in a check to see if the metric that is being pulled passes the test in the alert as well for good measure.

That’s a great idea. You can currently use Custom Dashboards to preview the metric before adding it to an Alerts condition, however I’ll submit a feature request to have something like this added directly to the Alerts UI.

We were using the custom dashboards before we set up the alerts, and in fact I used it to figure out the naming convention.
However, that turned out to be a false positive, since the custom dashboards support wild cards and the alert does not.

Anyway, thank you for the reply, I hope this feature makes it to production soon.

Couldn’t agree more. Custom plugin pages also support wild cards metrics while the alert policy page does not.

Apart from the “false-positive” issue, you cannot take advantage of the wild-card metrics support when you are not able to setup your alert policies with it.