Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Custom Payload Variables

alerts-beta
feature-idea
new-alerts

Hello Folks,

I have a requirement where I would need to get the $TARGETS metric to our centralized monitoring system. I have a custom webhook which feeds alerts data to Insights. But the $TARGETS data is not populating in Insights when accessing the event in Insights. How do I get $TARGETS so I can add it to centralized monitoring system

Hi, @bala.narasimha.rao.a: The $TARGETS field is an array; it is not possible to send it directly to Insights. You will have to create your own API endpoint to receive the webhook from New Relic Alerts, turn the $TARGETS array into a delimited string or a collection of key-value pairs, then post it to Insights.

I challenge this premise that sending as an ‘array’ only and we have to codify stripping the component pieces apart is a valid fix. This is like saying we bought this great race car from you, but, we have to build our own engine. This seems to be more than just a minor miss in the solution.

Hi, @tim.davis: Unfortunately, I am not on the product team, so I cannot change how it works. I can certainly relay your feedback to the product team, but until they change its behavior, the only solution I know of is the above workaround.

Is this feature still unresolved?

Hi, @dokyun.kim: There is a new feature in limited release that addresses this issue: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts/new-relic-alerts/managing-notification-channels/new-relic-connect.

Hi,
I checked the connect manual you sent me.
But it doesn’t contain any content that I can use the name of TARGETS like $ TARGETS [0] .name I was curious about.

Are you saying I can use $ TARGETS [0] .name if I use Connect?

New Relic Connect has a flatten_target option that changes the target(s) from an array to one or more root-level fields.