Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Customizable Y-Axis on APM Error Analytics chart

feature-request
apm
erroranalytics
feature-idea
rfb

After a deployment, I monitor the Error Rate/Error Analytics chart to compare the error rate before and after the deployment finished. Occasionally there’s an error spike that occurs due to the deploy, but subsides after a short time. When this kind of spike occurs, it is more difficult to compare the error rate, because the Y-axis grows to encompass the new error spike.

It would be great if I was able to customize the y-axis, so that I could more accurately compare the error rate before and after the deployment (when the error spike occurred). If I was able to set the upper-bound to 1% or even .5%, I would be able to more easily compare the error rate over time.

I’m thinking that the chart would look like this afterwards, where the data from the spike is truncated, which is okay and not my concern. I really wouldn’t care if the truncated section was red either, since I’m aware of the spike.

Seems like a straight-forward change once there’s some kind of UI to customize the y-axis. You could map over the data-points and max them out at the new upper-bound, or the chart component might already handle truncating data that exceeds the max y-axis.

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Labels on y-axis missing

Thank you so much for sharing your idea with us, @cory-dev! I have added a poll so we can start collecting votes. I will also pass your use case along to our product team. :thumbsup:

This is almost exactly what I was looking around to see if it existed.

Great, @rtroyer!

Since it is almost exactly what you were looking for, care to share your use case for this as well? :blush:

We’re running an insight dashboard on one of our monitors in the development area, and one of the graphs displayed on the dashboard is a stacked timeseries of several of our websites.

Based on the usage, it’s meant to be easily visible by any of the developers to quickly notice when our error rate spikes. With a normalized graph, at a glance, the error rate appears to spike all the time.

By implementing a Y-Limit it would be quickly visible when it exceeds what we deem is a normal threshold.

Hello, we have a similar issue that would greatly benefit from manipulating y-axis scales. In our case, we want to monitor the evolution of the percentage of some event. When the percentage is low (Around 10%), y-axis scales to low values and small variations of 2% or 3% look ok on the chart.

However, for higher percentages such as ~80%, y-axis defaults to 0-100% and small variations of 2 or 3%, which are important for us, become almost invisible.

It would be really useful to be able to force the scale of the y-axis, or at least the range for the scale, to be able to show results with more precision in their specific ranges.

Thanks
Guillermo

What a great addition, @gdotta - thank you for sharing with us! I will pass this along to our Product Management team asap. Thanks again! :blush:

Feature Idea: Adaptable Y-axis

Noting this is trivial to do in SumoLog already; if it’s not something that turns up early in 2019 we’re likely to start converting our monitoring graphs to that platform instead