Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Customize browser user agent and browser size for synthetic test

feature-idea

Customize browser user agent and browser size for synthetic test

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hey @mesparagoza - Thanks for posting on the community! I have moved your post over to the Feature Ideas space & I have added a poll as well for others to vote on here.

Note that it is possible to alter the User-Agent header and the browser window size in Synthetics scripted browsers.

User-Agent:

Browser size:

I assume your request is moreso surrounding non-scripted checks, like Simple Browsers, or alternatively you are looking for a more simplified way to select a User-Agent or browser size from the monitor creation page, rather than through scripting.

Any more detail you could add on your use case will help me in filing this internally as a Feature Request to the product team.

Hi Ryan,

I think it is not a browser level user agent, but rather http request user agent.
I have a support ticket actually in newrelic and advise me to file here in feature idea. Here is one of the message

`
Hi Marlon,

I wanted to follow up with you while Darren is off-shift. Thanks for providing the monitor link, reviewing the web app being monitored, it appears this application checks for the user agent not from the request header, which is where this script is setting the custom user agent string with $browser.addHeaders() , but rather from the navigator object navigator.userAgent which returns the actual browser user-agent.

This can be verified by the following snippet:

.then(function() {
log(1, ‘$browser.get(“https://www.facebook.com/”)’);
return $browser.get(“https://www.facebook.com/”);
}).then(function(){
return $browser.executeScript(function(){
return navigator.userAgent
})
}).then(function(agent){
console.log(agent)
})

We currently don’t have a means to set the user agent on the browser itself, only in the HTTP request headers. Our Product Managers and Engineers who plan our product roadmap are always interested in hearing new ideas about how to make New Relic even better, so I have submitted this as a feature request to be considered for a future release. We’ll do our best to let you know if this is implemented. While we can’t guarantee when or if this feature will be implemented, we take customer requests very seriously and use them to prioritize which features we implement next.

Let me know if you have any questions in the mean time.

Best,

Michel Losier
Technical Support Engineer
New Relic
`

Hey @mesparagoza Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense now! It looks like Michal already got you set up with a feature request internally then, so we’ll leave the poll here then for other’s to share their use cases & thoughts on this.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks a lot. Looking forward for this and hope you can add this feature. But if you will add Android or Apple device, that overrides this request.

Got it, @mesparagoza! I will be sure to pass that along since Ryan is out today.

Thanks again! :blush: