Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature idea: Distinct names for targeted .NET applications in global newrelic.config

rfb

I have a simple question: I’m using the <instrumentation><applications><application>-element (see: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/net-agent/configuration/net-agent-configuration#application-instrumentation) in the global newrelic.config-file to target multiple .NET Framework-based Windows Services hosted on the same machine but I want to expose them with custom names.

Something along these lines:

<instrumentation>
  <applications>
    <application name="MyAppA.exe" applicationName="IniTech.MyAppA" />
    <application name="MyAppB.exe" applicationName="IniTech.MyAppB" />
  </applications>
</instrumentation>

In the example above, the name-attribute is valid and is used to target an executable for monitoring. The applicationName-attribute is a hypothetical one in which I would like to control the application its name as it would appear in the APM dashboard.

I know that it’s possible to name an application into its own configuration file but I really would like to keep the introduction of NR-specific configuration parameters to my applications to an absolute minimum…

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi, @rob.wijkstra: You work for IniTech? Did you remember to use the new cover sheet on your TPS reports?

Unfortunately, your only options for naming applications on the same host are to set the name in each application’s app.config file, or to call the SetApplicationName() API call.

I am sure one the community moderators will be along shortly to turn this post into a feature request.

Hi @philweber, no unfortunately I don’t work there but I believe you have my stapler. :wink:

Thanks for clearing it out though; I hope to see it implemented as a feature some day but until then I’ll just have to stick with app.config-files I guess.

@rob.wijkstra - I have added a poll so that others can vote on seeing this in the future as well. Please be sure to add your vote, and please add any other details or progress here in this thread! :blush: