Feature Idea: Elixir / Phoenix Agent

Vote here! | Elixir / Phoenix Agent

• Yes, I want this too!
  • I want this too and have more to share (reply below)
  • I have a different solution

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Hi! I’m developing an app using Elixir Phoenix, and would love to instrument it with New Relic. Some googling turned up some historical discussion of a New Relic agent, but nothing official:
(links broken because of linking policy)

github dot com/phoenixframework/phoenix/issues/402
groups.google dot com/forum/#!topic/phoenix-talk/5FCU7ZxkHxI
reddit dot com/r/elixir/comments/3fmzel/postmortem_of_a_phoenix_app_that_made_it_to_the/

I wanted to make sure that this demand reached you. My client would likely be a paying customer if there was a drop-in Plug/Phoenix agent.

Thanks!

Great, @jbr! Thanks for letting me know that you are interested. I will go ahead and create a feature request for you with all this info. We love to hear about our customer’s (and future customer’s) needs.

In addition to filing a feature request about this I wanted to make sure that you knew about New Relic’s Agent SDK. Our Agent SDK can be hooked into any language—even Elixir/Phoenix combos! and gives you full customization.

Installation is detailed here in the documentation and you can find tons of helpful tips and use cases here in the Agent SDK category of the forum:
https://discuss.newrelic.com/c/platform-plugins/agent-sdk

Let me know if you and your client are interested or have any other questions! Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks! I understand that it is possible to build our own instrumentation. In this circumstance, we are unlikely to do that

1 Like

Gotcha. In that case: the more voices behind this request, the better, @jbr! I’ll be sure my product managers see your interest in this. :blush:

2 Likes

Hey @jbr we built a hex package at The RealReal for instrumenting New Relic

let us know if that helps or if you have any questions!

7 Likes

Adding my support for this request. One of the sticking points currently on our discussions of Rails x Elixir. :+1:

1 Like

hey! we’ll be sure to add your interest in this to a Feature Request! Thanks!

1 Like

Added my support as well, the rapidly growing Elixir/Phoenix community is in dire need of some quality application monitoring

1 Like

Hi @mads.hargreave and thanks for adding your voice to this feature request thread! I’ll go ahead and pass your input along to my product managers right now. Thanks again!

1 Like

I really would like to see an official agent as well!

1 Like

Hi @andreausu.prima,

Thanks for voicing your interest, I’ve gone ahead and added you to the feature request!

1 Like

We are migrating some of our internal services to elixir and having a New Relic agent would be a huge boost to keep all of our monitoring within NR.

1 Like

+1 to this request.

FYI for the team… using the NewRelic SDK is likely to be considered by most in this community to be a non-starter because of the way BEAM (the VM that runs Erlang, Elixir, and LFE apps) works. the use of outside binary libraries has great potential to crash the entire VM because BEAM can’t make use of its fault-tolerance techniques with native functions. An elixir-native client would be greatly helpful in these scenarios.

2 Likes

Thanks for pitching in and giving us all that input, @keith.gaddis! I definitely understand what you mean about Agent SDK not being ideal for you and your team in this situation. I will go ahead and add a feature request for you about Elixir/Phoenix :thumbsup:

I also think Elixir should be treated as a first class citizen. +1 for this one

We also have interest in using New Relic with Elixir!

You got it, @vatsu and @bcoppock! Thanks for letting me know—I have created feature requests for you both.

I’d also be interested in having Elixir/ Phoenix support. Thanks!

Also interested in Elixir/Phoenix support