Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Enable Rollup Naming with App Pool Naming via Web UI

feature-idea

Enable Rollup Naming with App Pool Naming via Web UI:

I was very pleased with how New Relic let us automatically name our applications based on the App Pool name since we already had good app pool names and hoped to avoid having to touch every app to update the web.config or update our projects to include a custom newrelic.config file (many of our projects start by deleting all destination files for a given publish so we can’t just manually create per-app newrelic.config files and expect them to remain after the next publish)

FEATURE IDEA: How about the ability to select a set of applications from the New Relic Web UI and assign them a rollup name that persists?

Naturally the ability to remote a given rollup name or add multiple rollup names would be nice as well.

I think this would be useful and save a lot of time and is not possible now per a New Relic Technical Support Engineer I asked.

Thanks!

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Well played @thompsonc010 - I appreciate you putting together such a thoughtful post. I added a poll so that others can weigh in and have shared this with our team!

Hi @thompsonc010 - The feature sort of already exists. If you apply a label to the applications that are to be rolled up together and then view them in the APM UI.

Hi, @stefan_garnham: Unfortunately, labels are not the same as application roll-ups: Labels group the application names, but not the data. Using multiple names for an application allows you to view the data for a group of applications on a single dashboard.