New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Event Unit Naming in Insights

feature-idea

I’m reporting a metric measured by milliseconds but newRelic has no way of knowing the unit. The graph shows the values correctly, without a unit.
Hovering attempts to show more detailed information, where it assumes my metric is seconds, multiplies it by 1000, then shows a unit of ms.
The same behavior (assuming the value is reported in seconds) happens with all my metrics, even things that don’t measure time. For example: when I report that a queue has 7 elements in it, the popup tries to say that the queue has 7000ms in it.

Suggestion: Don’t assume the units of our metrics. Either leave it unit-less or allow us to specify a unit.

New Relic edit

• I want this, too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Time units not displaying correctly in Metrics Explorer popover
Time units not displaying correctly in Metrics Explorer popover

Hey @hennings, that is an excellent suggestion! We’ve split this post into a new Feature Idea thread for other members to vote on, and to contribute their experience or use cases so we can better understand what a feature related to specifying event units might include.

I’d love to dig into your issue with event data displaying an unexpected unit a little more. Would you be willing to provide a URL to the Insights dashboard displayed in the screenshot above? If you post a link, it will only be viewable by authorized users on the account and New Relic admins.