Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Force override of .net agent machinename lookup (not infrastructure agent)

feature-idea

Hello,

I’m looking for the exact same functionality of https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/infrastructure/install-configure-manage-infrastructure/configuration/infrastructure-configuration-settings#hostname-variables

(override_hostname, override_hostname_short, display_name, dns_hostname_resolution)

I have the infrasructure agent running on 2 EC’s and it works great – I have the names separated out using the attributes above.

I have not yet been able to get this to display the same way for the .net agent. For my application under the APM servers tab/Hosts section, the machine is always the same. It does show “2 app instances” however. These EC2’s have the same computer name, so I suppose this makes sense.

I do want to be able to show “server1” and “server2” under the servers tab, and hosts section for the application though.

I had tried using the configuration element to change the processhost, and this does show up as a prettier name, but the same problem exists where only one of these names shows up.

How do I get the same functionality of the infrastructure agent, for the .net agent? I need to be able to see and differentiate these hosts.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @henryk1,

At this time, it’s not possible to override the hostname that the .NET Agent uses to report. The only option is processHost displayName, which as you noted, is cosmetic and doesn’t actually change the name being used for reporting.

This would make a great feature, so I’ve gone ahead and turned this into a Feature Idea post so that others in the community can vote on it. While we can’t guarantee when or if this feature will be implemented, we take customer requests very seriously and use them to prioritize which features we implement next. Thanks for helping us improve the product!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

-David