New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Get latency or bandwidth information from browser events

browser
feature-idea

Hi,
As of now we dont see any event column with latency or bandwidth information.

our ask /need is to group by data in pageView, pageViewTiming , BrowserInteraction based on the bandwidth users are using .

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

team ,plz any update on this ?

Hi @pmohite

Network bandwidth and latency aren’t metrics that browser reports out of the box.

It looks like there are ways you can figure out bandwidth, shown in the example from Stack Overflow here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/5529841/11835472

This involves loading an image with a known file size, and recording the duration of load to see how quick the network is.

You may be able to implement this yourself and send the results as a custom attribute to New Relic.

This isn’t a very accurate way of monitoring bandwidth or latency, however it may be a start for you.

I’m not sure of other ways in which the New Relic Browser agent could report on bandwidth metrics without adding much overhead to the site caused by our agent.

I will though, get this sent to the product development team as a Feature Idea for you. :slight_smile:

thnx @RyanVeitch for your reply .
we are actually looking for division or group of users with their bandwidth .
this way we can analyze and give priority for our analysis.
so we can simulate same in our testing .

Understood @pmohite

I still think that your use case is not possible out of the box with New Relic Browser, so I’ll add on those details to the feature idea I filed for you previously.